I think one of the things that we far too often overlook in this country is that fact that genital mutilation of newborn boys is common practice, if not standard. Why isn't there more of a cry against this? Do the benefits of circumcision (if any, and I don't see any valid argument that there are any) outweigh the cost and mutilation of a boy?

Of course circumcision isn't the only genital mutilation in the world, but it's the only type in practice in the United States. Female genital mutilation is just as barbaric, if not more so. Americans, and Europeans in general, ban female genital mutilation of babies, but why the hypocrisy in not doing the same for males?

Tags: Christianity, God, Judaism, circumcision, clitoral, covenant, genital, mutilation

Views: 1755

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In addition, I think it is a sign of ethical laziness (to not say racism) to constantly try to fix others' cultures instead of focusing on fixing our own. If our culture is successful, other cultures will follow, if they so desire.

^^ Removing the foreskin removes the flap of skin that normally protects the head of the penis, ^^

The word "flap" makes me mental.  We need to come up with an elegant way of saying this part, while calling it a sleeve.  And it's not that it "covers" like a banana peel covers the edible part.  It CAN cover but it can also roll back when manipulated, which feels REALLY good. 

hehe, yeah I can imagine it would infuriate you, it's not a useful word ... I feel that way when people speak of a 'membranes' covering the vagina's entrance, arrgggh!

The word "flap" makes me mental. 

Well, I could call it a sleeve, I suppose. I'm not familiar with the medical/technical term, as the matter of circumcision doesn't usually come up in conversations as the vast majority of men that I know are intact.

I know, I know, it sounds odd that in some countries people don't actually cut off bits of baby penises but it's the truth.

My opinion is it might be because of simple vanity and it's what people are use to. Circumcision gives that look people are use to thinking of when they envision a penis. As a female I really was marketed to "this is what a penis should look like". Now that I'm older and have had my own children, I find the idea totally stupid and could never imagine allowing that to be done to my own child.

Female circumcison I find insane. As a female I'd really hate my parents for denying me an enjoyable sex life. I'm pretty sure circumcision affects males ability to hold off on ejaculation, so in effect it could also be denying males an enjoyable sex life. That says a lot about consent and why it is done at such a young age, if your 20 year old cousin decided to have it done, he or she would not be telling you it's great and that would pretty much end the procedure right there I'd say.

While not looking for volunteers- Im curious about the different feel of circumcised men and not circumcised men.  Would any female be willing to explain the experience?  Private response is fine.

No need for privacy, I've written it on these forums many times before. Up until age 35, I had only known circumcised males, and many of them, ... really. I always enjoyed sex... but orgasms were rare. But I started having sex with a more international and younger crowd... intact males... and the orgasms started flowing, instantly, literally. Female copulation with an intact penis involves zero friction, no resistance to entry, smooth, painless, no nicks and cuts, and massive fun.

Of course, in our condom obsessed world... this benefit is somewhat nullified. Copulation with condoms give me vaginal shroom oubreaks. But Canadian doctors have this week announced that a vaccine for HIV is now in its last stage, human testing. So the outlook is good. I have been very lucky to get away with as much unprotected sex as I have. I have always felt like this about many aspects of life, full living is worth the risk.

That's enough information to make me envious. Thanks. Im sure the younger crowd issue is also a help. : ) Another big factor could be the age 35.  Things really get going around that age.  I'd trade all the sex of my 20's for a few more years of middle aged sex. I fully understand the injury aspect of sex as a woman.  Not fun.  Good luck on staying healthy.  I wont repeat all the concerns- Im sure you've heard them.  Living life to it's fullest is always a challenge and it differs from person to person. 

... on injuries... HIV transmission simply does not occur without broken skin, mind you it can be a very small break... but HIV relies on blood transmission, not skin to skin contact, like most STDs. Which is the reason lesbian «sex» is practically zero risk, no semen to blood contact. In order to transmit HIV, it's not sufficient to have simply been in contact with it... one must have actually developed a certain viral load, which for some people who are HIV+, never even occurs. So between having no injuries, and not developing any viral load, the risks of HIV contraction/transmission are not as high as the fear mongering that goes on.

So when I heard yesterday on CBC radio about there being a fight brewing in Canada to decriminalise HIV+ sex, I fully agreed with it.  In my own experience, I assume that because I am a very demanding person, if I'm not prepped and juicy, the copulation is not going to happen, simple as that. As a youth, I didn't know that this behaviour would save me from diseases, but in hindsight of over 30 years of nearly carefree copulations with different nationalities, and not one STD, I'd say it goes a little beyond luck, it speaks about my mate/behaviour choices to a degree, and maybe my immune system. Now of course, I use condoms for penis/anal, because IMO, it's impossible to go anal without micro-injuries.

Our society is so filled with mandatory objects to supposedly save us... which in fact don't do much at all but limit our enjoyment of life. Ah but that's another conversation :)

If all this is true then circumscision will increase the transmission rates from male to female due to injuries even if it lowers the rate of male infection.  Would it be enough to offset the transmission from male to female. 

If you are HIV+ then you owe it to your partners to let them know.  This goes for any STD. 

I have to say I think you are really really lucky.  Im glad for that but I wouldn't advise the same risk.

Indeed... on all...

The situation in Africa with the WHO now officially sanctioning circumcision enrages me to no end. All the medical communities know other methods are more efficient and none of these medical associations condone circumcision in their own countries, yet, when it comes to Africa... These studies are so depressing.

One rule and set of expectations for the first world and another for the third.  Can't help but wonder if we are about to get hit in the head by a BRICK.  (Brazil, India, China, Korea.) 

Im un=subbing to this chat.  All has been said.  Love to chat with you elsewhere TNT. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service