I have passed this sign for about 8 days now. It didn't bother me at first but after passing it many times it's starting to get a little demeaning. I'm sure that I am not the only non-theist who is offended by this sign.

"God without man is still God-
Man without God is Nothing!"

Notice the exclamation mark at the end. That really twists the knife a bit to me. I am very far from having nothing. I feel like life has blessed me, I have many wonderful friends and a wonderful woman to share my life with. There are also the things that I own that I am very thankful for except I don't think they are speaking of material things. I have worked hard to earn respect and trust... This sign spreads the thought of looking down on atheists. The God virus is out of control. So anyway, what would you tell this offensive organization to make them understand that this is totally untrue? I am considering placing a letter in the door containing our viewpoint. Would you recommend this or is there a better way?

Thanks for all input.

Notice the attachment below, it contains the picture of the sign.

Tags: Church, letter, man, nothing, offensive, sign

Views: 115

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I do believe in free speech. This is why I am wondering if I should even speak up. But on the other hand, I have yet to see an atheistic billboard condoning the person who believes, only the idea. How long would anyone allow a billboard to stand that reads, "If you do not own a ford, you are nothing" or worse, "if your mother is dead, you are nothing". These are very condescending words but they are very much like the words this church has written. It's not like I can choose to believe once again. God is dead to me and I could not control it. But it doesn't mean I am nothing. The billboard you showed is true no matter how you slice it.
Right...it took the imagination of the human brain to create "gods", not the "gods" to create our human imagination. As wild as our imaginations can get sometimes, they're still "human-made" ideas....not something cooked up by a supernatural being and somehow independent of us.
There's nothing you can tell them. Religion is designed to make people feel like crap, and then tell them that they are the ones who can make you feel better. When I see these posterboards, I just laugh. They have nothing but cliches.
Not saying you should go do this, but if it was the letter that you can move around, you could re word it to:

MAN WITHOUT GODS IS A GOOD THING
U STILL WITH NO GOD

and you will even have left overs M,N,T,I,!
I think just sending a copy of your statement here to the pastor of that church might make a difference.
No guarantee, of course, but if he's an honest person he'll rethink the message. If, not, then you will at least have this as evidence that he's either an unthinking, babbling automation or a person too terrified to reason.
Yes, that's an idea.
cries for help... or more money?
Noticed a sign at a local church near my daughter's school today (everybody prepare to groan in unison):

Seven days without prayer makes one weak.

My daughter was so funny with her reaction: "I haven't prayed in 15 years and I'm a pretty strong person".
"Man without church is still Man -
Church without Man is Nothing!"
I would only laugh at this sign. If the community of the religious have to display such things, it is out of veiled desperation. It makes them feel better to vocalize their "superior" beliefs. Let them have their petty blows. It only serves to display the twisted side of religiosity.
I don't know exactly when churches began posting signs like that, but I've been driving past them for at least four decades. I don't let their messages, some of them quite insulting to non-believers and those of other faiths, get me down, however. I've long viewed them only as an indication of the church's insecurity. If their puerile messages were indeed true, they wouldn't have to be so blatantly advertised.
Who are they trying to convince, me where they have no chance or the congregation which are starting to stray. I see this as a scare tactic.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service