I have passed this sign for about 8 days now. It didn't bother me at first but after passing it many times it's starting to get a little demeaning. I'm sure that I am not the only non-theist who is offended by this sign.

"God without man is still God-
Man without God is Nothing!"

Notice the exclamation mark at the end. That really twists the knife a bit to me. I am very far from having nothing. I feel like life has blessed me, I have many wonderful friends and a wonderful woman to share my life with. There are also the things that I own that I am very thankful for except I don't think they are speaking of material things. I have worked hard to earn respect and trust... This sign spreads the thought of looking down on atheists. The God virus is out of control. So anyway, what would you tell this offensive organization to make them understand that this is totally untrue? I am considering placing a letter in the door containing our viewpoint. Would you recommend this or is there a better way?

Thanks for all input.

Notice the attachment below, it contains the picture of the sign.

Tags: Church, letter, man, nothing, offensive, sign

Views: 102

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who are they trying to convince, me where they have no chance or the congregation which are starting to stray. I see this as a scare tactic.
Michael,
I suspect they may be trying to convince themselves that they are doing a good job of
proselytizing. I imagine the pastor thinking,
"What should a good church manager be doing? What will impress the congregation that I'm a good director of this church. I could visit the homeless people living under the bridge downtown and bring them food, but that's expensive, dangerous, a lot of work, and not very visible. Or I could post a witty sign on the front lawn - or even ask a volunteer to post it for me. Hmmmmm, tough choice . . ."
Man - God = 0
therefore
Man = God...
Then,
God - Man = God
But God = Man
Therefore
God - God = God
which is only possible when God = 0

Therefore, God is Nothing

It's simple maths...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
52 seconds ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Christine's discussion What exactly is "sin" anyway??
11 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
12 minutes ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
15 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
27 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
31 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
36 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
51 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service