It is happening in England where it is so obvious.

When will something similar become obvious in North America?

The Church of England is just 'one generation away from extinction', the former Archbishop of Canterbury said yesterday.

Lord Carey laid the blame at the feet of Church leaders who he said should be 'ashamed' of their failure to bring youngsters into their services.

His stark message was echoed by the Archbishop of York, who told the General Synod that compared to the need to attract new worshippers, 'everything else is like re-arranging furniture when the house is on fire'.

The Most Reverend John Sentamu told the Synod – where leaders will debate how to persuade traditionalists to accept women bishops – that they spent too long 'arguing over words and phrases, while the people of England are left floundering amid meaninglessness, anxiety and despair'.

Lord Carey, who stepped down from Lambeth Palace in 2002, remains among the most high-profile campaigners for Christianity in the country.

He said: 'We ought to be ashamed of ourselves. We are one generation away from extinction – if we do not invest in young people there is going to be no one in the future.'

The series of high-level warnings about a looming crisis comes at a time when  Christian belief and the Church of England appear under attack on a number of fronts.

Recent census figures have shown a decline of more than 10 per cent in a decade in numbers of people who call themselves Christian, and the courts have rejected a series of pleas from Christians for respect from the law for their beliefs.

There's more good news to read, see some statistics at

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509379/Church-brink-extinc... 

Tags: Church of England, atheism

Views: 594

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am being very sincere Loren when I say you should answer all of the questions on this site, because you are extremely smart, and the way you put things is perfect in my opinion!~ Mindy

Mindy, I'm nowhere NEAR that good.  I just look for those issues where I feel like maybe I know something, then take my best shot.  There are plenty of issues where I either know exactly SQUAT or don't have a dog in that particular fight or am frankly indifferent.

If you or someone else finds a value in what I have to say, terrific.  I'm just here to help and to add what I can to the conversation.

i'm with Mel on this one.  you're the man Loren!

Matt, you know I always agree with you as well!!!! ~ Mel

Well certain people stand out, and you are the best of the best.  I can't think of one single thing you've posted that I don't agree with, or that I don't think is a great answer!  I am glad you are here!

This is the best news--declining christianity and rising numbers of non-religious. The bad news is a series of weak governments failing to tackle the Islamist problems.

One would hope that more non-religious indicates more critical thinking. more skepticism.  better political choices.  One would hope.

The drop in Catholicism is especially encouraging.  Maybe the internet, ind increasing cosmopolitanism, will be more effective than Henry VII at reducing the Vatican's vile influence.

Indeed I hope so with a sharply rising non-religious population, which is true to a greater or lesser extent for Britain and Ireland as regards improved critical thinking and genuine skepticism. It is helped because there are fewer adult believers to force their children into accepting the nonsense of the christian faith--good positive feedback in action. 

Now what about America?  Are there any encouraging signs there?

The increase of the "nones," and coincident loss of majority of protestant christianity (below 50% for the first time since it has been measured) both are promising metrics of the decreasing religiosity of the United States. 

Sadly, it has a long way to go, yet.

i love America, and i'm proud of much of what our nation has accomplished historically (despite the obvious fuck ups).  having said that, we are and always have been backwards when it comes to religiosity. 

we didn't used to be unique in that sense.  however, it seems that much of the Western world has or is starting to move past uber-religiosity.  that simply hasn't happened here.  we have more in common with Arab countries when it comes to religion than Europe. 

we are a peculiar country.  our obsession with guns, abortion, Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, and Jesus must seem very odd to foreigners.  and yes, i realize that this doesn't represent all of America.  but i can safely say that it's close to half, which is half too many IMO (no offense to any Duck Dynasty watchers, i hear it's a good show). 

we can only hope that we'll move in a similar direction to what England is experiencing.  but i think it's still a long way off. 

The founding fathers made a perfect, praiseworthy start. 

How can it be going wrong? The leading American scientists are wonderful role models as to their discoveries and space engineering skills among so much else. 

The problems are multi-fold, though I can make two observations on them:

1. Distractions from the essentials.  These consist of everything from Oprah Winfrey to Jerry Springer to Fox News.  They play to the groundlings, to those who either aren't sophisticated or don't care to be, and they PLAY their audience as much as cater to them.
  2. Laziness.  Learning new things and incorporating them into one's world view is WORK.  Then again, knowledge was always work.  Belief, on the other hand, is easy, one of the reasons why religion persists in what otherwise might be a sophisticated world.

Those are just two.  I'm sure there are lots more.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service