Just read this...

Christopher Hitchens has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

The Vanity Fair and Slate columnist and author of recent memoir Hitch 22 recently suspended his book tour for what was described as "personal reasons."

Now, he reveals in a statement:

I have been advised by my physician that I must undergo a course of chemotherapy on my esophagus. This advice seems persuasive to me. I regret having had to cancel so many engagements at such short notice.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/30/christopher-hitchens-canc_...

Tags: Christopher, Hitchens, atheist, cancer

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes! So would I. Of course we don't waste our time with prayers and "positive energy," but we can certainly tell Hitchens we're cheering for him. (Yes, I was a cheerleader in high school. :-P )
Just gotta root for this guy, He's a hero!
The funny thing about this is that Christians will say that god gave him cancer. If CH survives it is God's will that he survived, but if he dies it's God will that he died. It's a Catch-22.
*FACEPALM* No, actually I didn't see that particular response coming. Still, you gotta love how no matter what happens, some believer of some sort will find a way to take credit for it. He smoked, he got cancer, and hopefully he'll be okay. What could possibly be supernatural about that?
That sucks to hear, Hitchens is a great writer and I hope he can overcome this and continue on.
Ha! I can summarize that blog post in a few sentences, I think.

"Christopher Hitchens has cancer, but I'm praying for him. I know it will drive him nuts, but I'm doing it because I'm such a good person."

I understand that many people pray sincerely, and some even think that it accomplishes something in spite of the lack of evidence for intercessory prayer. But to think that doing so is somehow noble seems like complete nonsense to me.

One of the hosts on that "Atheist Experience" show said something I don't think I'll ever forget: "Prayer is like masturbation. It just makes you feel good, and please do it in private." That seems to fit this article perfectly; written by someone who is both pleasuring himself, and pleasuring himself FOR pleasuring himself. :-P
He was on CNN tonight. Here's part of his interview. I'll miss him! http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/05/hitchens-on-cancer-diagnosis-...
I saw it. He's certainly being stoic going on television so soon. I don't even know if he's done with his chemo treatments. I know I couldn't do that, I'd still be in shock. I don't know why this is affecting me as much as it is. I just really love the man. He cares so much about people, about defending children and the oppressed. Idiots who don't know him think he's evil because of his atheism and his attacks on people like the pope and mother theresa, but when he speaks about the abused children of the catholic church or the women in the middle east, you can see in his eyes, the pain he feels for them. He is really a very caring individual. It hurts me to see this happening to him.
When I heard of this, I actually had his book, "God Is Not Great" in my hand, as I had decided to re-visit Mr. Hitchen's writings.

The hope that I have for Mr. Hitchen's is that he doesn't suffer great pain & sickness.

A great many of us will see to it that he never dies.
None can possibly gather and contain all that essence, and having hid the container in the deepest of depths, say, "He is no more".

The shape changes, but the form remains.
I am literally heart broken. still am, since I found out a month and a half ago. (or was it two months?) Christopher Hitchens has been sort of my "inspiration" in my Non-Theist views, even over Sam Harris, Dan Barker, and of course, Richard Dawkins (to name a few). I'm in the Bible Belt of Texas, where I'm told i'm a "lost puppy" with "no moral compass". When I first moved here, Hitch was always there to keep me going (still is), and inspired me to keep my drive not to collapse under pressures of constant converters (not that I would anyway, but I sure quote him alot)

To Hitch I can only say.....

Gratis. Hope you get better, and maybe to get one final work after Hitch 22 out of you before you go.

Your an inspiration to us all.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
45 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
3 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service