http://www.npr.org/2011/12/16/143595854/writer-christopher-hitchens... 

So ends an era... Thanks for you help Chris. You will be missed.

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While not unexpected, this is a most depressing blow. God is Not Great helped me get my head out of my ass. Feels like we've lost a friend, doesn't it? At least we can all be sad together.

I can't believe I won't see any more Hitch-slaps. I'm going to have to start downloading youtube debates to make sure these things aren't lost.

I saw him speak when God is not Great came out.  It was pretty intense.

Found this:  The Best of the Hitchslap

Thanks for the vid. I've now been watching about an hour straight of Hitch and Sam Harris on YouTube. So far, Hitch does it way better. So good.

I mourn the loss of one of the most unique people mankind has ever produced . Too bad 80% of the world will never be able to appreciate that fact.

I find myself truly grieving this loss.  Certainly we still have Dawkins and Dennett and Harris, but even among them, Hitch shone.  He was astonishing in his encyclopedic knowledge and his facility and access to that knowledge, but most of all in how he used it.

I wonder if any of us will see his like again.

Too soon! He will be missed!

I wonder if any of us will see his like again.

I really hope so. He was our snarling guard-dog.

We need people like him protecting us.

I think that if we fail to learn how to protect ourselves from his example, we also fail to do honor to his memory.

I can't imagine having Hitch's grasp of facts, but I'm not such an old dog that I can't learn a bit here and there.

Something I just culled from the NY Times obituary for Mr. Hitchens:

“It was, if I can phrase it like this, a matter of everything I hated versus everything I loved,” he wrote in his memoir. “In the hate column: dictatorship, religion, stupidity, demagogy, censorship, bullying and intimidation. In the love column: literature, irony, humor, the individual and the defense of free expression.”

What. He. Said.

Hitchens lived a life filled with discovery. We all should build on his example. Thanks Hitch:(

And as we all go forward in our individual attempts to champion rationality and freethought, just remember. We stand on the shoulders of giants who walked before us and with us: Baruch Spinoza, David Hume, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Bertrand Russell, and now, Christopher Hitchens.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service