Christmas vs. Remembrance Day (Veterans' Day for those of you south of the border)

Though I try, it is impossible to ignore the christmas consumer blitz that has already begun. All the cheap plastic hallowe'en crap is gone and replaced by the cheap plastic christmas crap. Is it just me or is it not in bad corporate taste to neglect the solemn occasion of Remembrance on Nov. 11? In my humble opinion it is a complete disrespect to the millions who made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom (well, the most reasonable facsimile of freedom that we have had to date). After all, this consumer orgy might not have even been possible without that sacrifice. Shame on you Starbucks, Disney, et al. Just my 2 cents worth, had to get it off my chest.

Lest we forget.

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well it may be poor taste, but you can only sell so much red, white, and blue for a holiday where people don't really buy things. Business comes before meaning, of course.
Personally, I think it is better that corporations stay out of Veterans Day, except, perhaps, for offering special discounts to veterans. They start the Christmas stuff way too early, but that's a separate issue.
Too early is precisely the issue I meant. In no way was I inferring that corporations should really get involved. Just a little respect would help. At one of the local Starbuck's, prior to Remebrance Day, the full christmas show was already in full swing and no collection jar for the poppy fund was to be seen. What better place to collect a little change. I guess a separate topic is in order to address the practically 1/6th of the year we have to listen to stupid jingle bells tugging at the heartstrings of the weakminded.

Cheers

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs in the group Justice For All
3 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan posted a discussion
5 minutes ago
Idaho Spud liked Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs
8 minutes ago
Pat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion All of the christian religion in one tweet
10 minutes ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Getting Speech Straight - "Homosexual" is not an LGBT-friendly term in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
10 minutes ago
Grinning Cat added a discussion to the group Justice For All
11 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Sentient Biped's discussion All of the christian religion in one tweet
21 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion All of the christian religion in one tweet
24 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Getting Speech Straight - "Homosexual" is not an LGBT-friendly term in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
25 minutes ago
MattyLJ replied to MattyLJ's discussion what is Facebook all about?
32 minutes ago
Sentient Biped posted a discussion
32 minutes ago
Plinius replied to MattyLJ's discussion what is Facebook all about?
34 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service