http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/25/nigeria.child.witches/?h...

I don't know if atheistnexus.org has already discussed this but this is horrible! Children are either tortured, buried alive or stabbed to death after being accused of witchcraft. It's like Salem.

via the link:

"Religious leaders capitalize on the ignorance of some parents in the villages just to make some money off them," said Lucky Inyang, project coordinator for 'Stepping Stones Nigeria'."They can say your child is a witch and if you bring the child to the church we can deliver the child but eventually they don't deliver the children... The parents go back to the pastor and say, 'why is it you have not been able to deliver the child' and the pastor says 'Oh - this one has gone past deliverance - they've eaten too much flesh so you have to throw the child out. And most pastors charge a fee for deliverance -- anywhere from $300 to $2,000."

This ideally could be good for atheist PR if we were more funded. We could offer assistance to those who've suffered under religion like these kids. I also don't see any Christian organizations stepping up and stopping this madness.

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was covered in the US (on CBS, I think) over a year ago, and the phenomenon has been recorded in Nigeria and in other states in Africa. Part of the problem is that there are actual government officials who have voiced agreement with the idea that some of these children may be witches, which may either reflect a rather frightening ignorance at the government level or one of the more disturbing forms of indifference I have ever seen.
It's amazing how scared people can be when people believe something different. Half these kids were probably even accused of being witches based on physical deformities, etc. I watched something the other day where a poor little girl in Africa had a lazy eye and a burned face, then the pastor of the local church charged them 1000 dollars u.s. To perform an exorcism. His exorcism contained beating the child waving her around screaming at her while other people throw water and other things in her face. These children who aren't slain, must be mentally damaged for life. Religion is sickening.
The constant mis-education or poo poo of modern-era progress due to religion (leader's tool) is the seed that gives birth to the vomit by-product of sickening religions.

So yeah, sickening a thinking human to rage at times.
Yeah, I read about another incident where they killed a albino child because they tthought they were possessed by witchcraft and later they use the body parts in rituals.
Blame whatever religion... right?
Shyte, we had to wait for our ride in privy school even if we could see the car coming... conformist bs...

basically, activism, be it blogging like this or physical demonstrations must continue to, in the words of Greydon Square (best rapper out there lately) "have the lie of religion ripped open"
something to that effect

http://www.atheistnexus.org/profiles/blogs/the-black-atheist-does-it
It does not get much more digusting than that (I saw it on CNN the other night and I could not believe what I was hearing). They showed a little 5 year old girl with burn scars on her face from where someone had poured boiling water on her in order to purify her.

I said to myself "Okay, that's it - I'm totally baffled about human behavior - I'll never understand it, never never never never never never..... I totally give up, I'm not even going to try anymore".

Sometimes the human race is so disgusting to me I'm ashamed to be one.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service