Hello all, christians and muslims both believe in the virgin
birth of Jesus, isnt it possible that mary was having an affair and she
accidentally got pregnant?, but since she knew the people that lived
back then were a superstitious gullible lot, she came up with the lie
that it was god that made her pregnant and the fools believed her,

i personally think she was a really smart woman because up till today her lie is still believed by christians and muslims

if she was alive today she will be a very good politician,

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no worries brother...nothing but love here
I'd say it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more likely than her getting knocked-up by a supreme being.
...was Mary a whore?

Only insofar as one subscribes to the notion that it is immoral for a woman to have sex out of wedlock and deserves to be condemned. Such a notion is one I reject.

...isnt it possible that mary was having an affair and she accidentally got pregnant?

Possible, but doubtful. If we take the story at face value, it is more likely that, already betrothed to Joseph, she and her fiancé engage in some pre-marital getting-to-know-you. That accounts for the basis of her being pregnant out of wedlock, a basis that was then later used to support the Virgin Birth.

But as Glen notes, virgin births in ancient mythology were not unusual. It may simply be an appropriation from other myths. Such humble, yet miraculous, beginnings for the saviour of humanity makes for a powerful story. But a story it is.
Yeah, I'm with you. Calling her a "whore" doesn't seem entirely cool.
Calling her a "whore" doesn't seem entirely cool

yeah i agree, maybe the "whore" title was a bit too much...i guess i am just saying, if you are a woman in today's world who got pregnant and the only explanation you had was that a supreme being was responsible...then i doubt anyone would believe
Some people would, I think. She might even garner a cult following. People now can be just as gullible as they were back then. Like you say, she'd just have to be crafty. Remember, some of the most influential people in the United States believe their anger, fear, etc. results from the disembodied souls of aliens whose bodies were obliterated by a volcano or some dumb shit like that (Scientology).
My bad, I'll try and keep my balderdash straight from now on :)
People now can be just as gullible as they were back then

i agree with you...when it comes to being gullible no one does it better like the religious mind.....and no one does it better than nigerians...just some days ago on tv, a pastor was telling his congregation how he drove over 200 miles without gasoline because he prayed and god decided to help out his stranded servant...lol
You should read up on the official North Korean "historical" account of the birth of Kim Jong Il. Hilarious.
It can be. Certainly is for North Koreans. Certainly can be down here in the Southeastern U.S.
Nothin wrong with a little banjo, Glen!!
You should read up on the official North Korean "historical" account of the birth of Kim Jong Il. Hilarious.

Wow. Hadn't considered that but ... wow.

Goes a long way to show just how easily history can be skewed with. Imagine 2,000 years ago when we didn't have Wikipedia or freedom of information, when only an elite few were literate and only a few of their writings survived.

It's why historians are not just looking at the text, but the context.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service