Blog post from liberal Christian decrying the lack of ethics in American Chrsitianity:

So what in the world is an atheist to think when he sees the widespread Christian support for torture? Yes, torture. But don’t Christians claim to follow the ethics of Jesus and the apostles in the New Testament? Aren’t Christians commanded to put off anger, wrath, and malice (Colossians 3:8), "be ready to every good work" (Titus 3:1), and "live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:18)? Yes, Christians.

http://lewrockwell.com/vance/vance171.html

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why the surprise? Do you think a "real Christian" couldn't possibly condone torture or other any other evil act? (see below link on "No True Scotsman "fallacy)

Christianity condoned torture and murder at an institutional level for centuries through the Inquisition (begun in the C13th CE)

In latter days,Christianity has condoned and approved of other evils such as slavery and the subjugation of women. That some Christians condone the torture of those they see as a threat to their brand Christianity or jingoism surprises me not at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRIVIA :The Inquisition still exists, albeit much reduced,under the name of "The Congregation For The Protection Of The Faith" the previous head was man called Josef Ratzinger ,aka Pope Benedict XV1

Christianity began with the arrest of an innocent man (Jesus), who was then put in a show trial, his own father rigged the judicial process so that he would be found guilty (perverting the course of justice), and then he was tortured to death (by crucifixion).

M.

Lumping all Christians together is never a good idea. There are groups out there that do obey the biblical teachings. But the overall panarama view of the church over the centuries has not been good. The church has had its ups and downs thru the centuries, but blood-guilt is something hard to erase from ones history. There are a lot of christians today that do not believe in torture or violence, yet they will berate one who is not one of them. Verbal abuse can be just as deadly as physical abuse. Didn't Paul consider himself the worst of sinners? Did not Jesus call people in his day hypocrites and liars, contradicting his own teaching on not judging others? Christianity can be very confusing and contradictory. I was lucky never to get to deeply into the guilt thing. Feeling guilty for pleasure was something I was not into.
Jesus said to hate your family.  I do, I do!!  (Luke 14:26)

I heard a sermon once where the pastor said that breaking the law was a sin because laws are created by people appointed by god.  If they believe the lawmakers allow torture, then it must be because god is guiding them.

I also know a born again who is okay with torture because the people performing the torture are following the orders of their leaders who are appoint by.....god.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

John Jubinsky posted photos
2 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
3 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
3 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service