I was born and raised in a Christian household and was a Christian myself until a couple of years ago. Looking back I realize that if me now could meet me then, I don't think we'd get along. I admit that me then hated gays because they were "evil deviants who would destroy America" or some such bullshit. Since becoming an atheist, I have become way more relaxed and laid back than I was, say, five years ago. I will be honest, I am saddened by the fact that I ever held such ludicrous beliefs and all because I didn't think for myself and let some silly religion dictate my thoughts.

When I talk to Christians now, or peruse christian forums (which I do from time to time just to see what's going on), or have some kind of interaction with them, I realize that there are quite a few little things that just irritate my about Christianity. My biggest beef is the rampant hypocrisy. Christians love to talk about just having an "open mind" when trying to convert, but, in my opinion, there are very few groups of people in the world with less of an open mind than the majority of Christians. 

So my question is this: what are the most irritating parts of Christianity to you? I realize that there are probably many things that irritate, but what's that one that just pisses you the hell off?

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Calling themselves a religion of peace.

Calling themselves open minded.

Calling themselves the one true religion... all others are flat out wrong... no explanation why.

Welcome to the absence of all that.
I've heard this sort of thing allot. Now that you're on the outside of the mind cage looking in, you can see why Christians piss people off so much... whereas, those on the inside think we were just being irrationally irritable.
Calling themselves the one true religion... all others are flat out wrong... no explanation why.

Like every other religion? Lol.
That they feel entitled to forcefully push their lifestyle upon others, especially children.
when i question a christian about their beliefs they flip out and say im attacking them. im just trying to talk to them and give them questions that will make them open their eyes to their ingnorant belief system. although i do get a cocky tone when we get into the circular logic thing. then they just get pissed.

another thing that pisses me off is when my dad tells me everything in the bible is FACT. and that scientists haven't proven ANY of it wrong. when i ask him for supporting details on how anything in the bible is fact he says "its fact man. its just fact" and when i try to explain to him all the different ways the story's in the bible are wrong(even when supported by FACTS) he just reply's "no" and walks away shaking his head.
"---trying to talk to them and give them questions that will make them open their eyes to their ingnorant belief system"

Perhaps have a look in the mirror before accusing others of being ignorant and closed minded.
I don't think that trying to enlighten anyone is really a need for a self-check. The belief/faith system is ignorant and dangerous. So I think that anyone willing to let you get a sentence out needs to hear a few criticisms of it. If someone cannot bear to hear you question their obedience to phantoms and ghosts, they really are close minded.

"when i question a christian about their beliefs they flip out and say im attacking them. im just trying to talk to them and give them questions that will make them open their eyes to their ingnorant belief system. "

This statement just doesn't imply ignorance or close-mindedness to me. Arrogance perhaps depending on how he presents his arguments, but certainly not ignorance.
what's that one that just pisses you the hell off?

The "do you realize you'll burn in Hell for not believing in God?" mindset.
It pisses me off when I get approached in a public place by someone who wants me to be "saved"! When I politely tell them that I don't want to hear it , for some odd reason they try to keep the conversation going! When I get rude, they feel offended! I then tell them that it's nonsense and they tell me that I am going to burn in hell lol!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service