So I got home from vacationing in Oregon and I see I have an unread email in my mailbox from one of my friends who I knew to be Christian/Mormon. I open it, and it says:

"I AM HONORED TO DO THIS

Did you know that the ACLU has filed a suit to have all military cross-shaped headstones removed and another suit to end prayer from the military completely. They're making great progress. The Navy Chaplains can no longer mention Jesus' name in prayer thanks to the WRETCHED ACLU and our new administration.

I'm not breaking this one. If I get it a 1000 times, I'll forward it a 1000 times!

Let us pray...

Prayer chain for our Military... Don't break it!

Please send this on after a short prayer.. Prayer for our soldiers Don't break it!

Prayer:

'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands Protect them as they protect us Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen.'

Prayer Request: When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our troops around the world.

There is nothing attached. Just send this to people in your address book. Do not let it stop with you. Of all the gifts you could give a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & others deployed in harm's way, prayer is the very best one.

GOD BLESS YOU FOR PASSING IT ON!"

She knows I'm an Atheist, and to tell the truth I was wondering when I would recieve something like this from her. I responded:

"The military, as a government institution, should be secular as was our nation's founders' wishes. If the American Civil Liberties Union succeeds, as I hope they do, it will be a step in the right direction. This is not a Christian nation, it was not founded on Christianity, and it should not be run by the tenets of Christianity.

As for the crosses, the entire US military is not Christian, so to bury every soldier under a Christian icon is disrespectful to the troops who died. It would be much more appropriate to bury troops under an American flag, as every one of them is an American. This just seems like another attempt to institute a Christian Theocracy instead of an American Democracy.

The ACLU exists to uphold the Constitution of America, so to oppose it is to oppose our way of government, and in turn, our nation. They will succeed in this case, I predict, because they have the true American ideals of liberty and justice at their heart.

Thanks for letting me know about this so I can support the ACLU in their efforts."

What do you think?

Tags: aclu, american, army, atheism, christian, christianity, civil, email, liberties, military, More…mormon, mormonism, prayer, religion, secular, theism, union

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The original email is a hoax. I looked it up on Snopes.com when I received it about a week ago.
Good to know.
Without even looking up the email on snopes, the big red flag is the gripe that the ACLU is trying to get rid of all crosses as headstones.

Not all headstones are crosses, only those requested by the soldier/family. As most are Christian, it stands to reason that MOST headstones are crosses. A walk through Arlington will also take you by a few Jewish stars, some non-religious headstones, after a huge long fight over it a few Wiccan pentacles, and I'm pretty certain Muslim soldiers can have a symbol of their faith as well. So long as the military doesn't deny one faith (like the fight over being able to put a pentacle on a headstone), I see little problem with being buried with the religious symbol of your choice.

But, I do like your reply to your friend. And I do like the idea that if there is to be a universal symbol to be buried under it should be an American flag.

The attempts at revisionist history, at retroactively turning our Nation's Founding into a great big Church event, is scary. People like this need to be reminded at every turn to read their f---ing history books.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service