Children should be allowed to get bored so they can develop their innate ability to be creative, an education expert says.

Tags: boring, hell, prayer

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is that why school is such a bore?

This sounds like a good idea, although I have no firm position on it as I've not thought of it before.

When I was young, I remember us children asking mother "what can we do?"  No imagination.  However, it didn't take me long to become interested in many things, especially science, and since then I've very seldom been bored.  Can't understand those that are.

When I and my brothers would complain to Mom, "I'm boooored," she would put us to doing chores around the house.

So, of course, I had to be a smartass and go, "I'm woooooood." ...Didn't work. LOL

LOL.

'challenges' folks.. it's all about challenges... ~

cool. then again.. the kid always depends on the parent. or parents.. 
they see the world at half the height we do. figure that in. 
and this~! 
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Jesus-Stomping-Incident-Draws-Fl...

indeed i'd argue a woman that ate fastfood all the time may not have a kid like a healthy non fast food mom?

In some ways, I completely agree with this. Sometimes I just want to put my kid in time-out JUST BECAUSE when he sits there for a few minutes, he starts telling himself stories. The boy hates to be quiet. I have no idea what school is going to be like for him in the fall, but getting him to shut up is going to be a project, I'm sure of it. 

In other ways, I think it's a matter of balance. If the kid's USED to being bored, it's just another day. When you shake up their surroundings, that is when you're going to see their creativity come out to play. If you live in a city, take them camping, and let them go play in the woods for a while. Not far enough to get lost, but enough that they're not begging for their GameBoy or your iPhone. Go climb a tree. Here's a pocket knife, make a walking stick. Do _something_ you've never done before. Come back when you smell hot dogs. 

I live next door to Dear Li'l Sis and her 9-year-old son.  He's a brilliant kid by almost any measure, but does get 'bored' easily.  It seems to be a matter of maximizing pleasure at minimum effort, which is hard to argue against on the time scale of a 9-year-old.  And yes, I'm an old coot who sees him as 'spoiled'.  After all, I walked barefoot in the snow to school, uphill both ways.  His experience is as different in reality as mine is in memory, and arguing against immediate gratification is a tough haul (really uphill both ways).

If there's an electronic screen available -- TV, iPad, Wii -- whatever, he is so strongly drawn to it that it takes grabbing by the scruff to pull him away.  And when the screen is on, the brain is off (or at least so it seems to me -- someone who doesn't own a TV).  I was watching (I'm too old to walk around much) him and his Mom build his new tree fort -- a 3-story affair with a fireman's pole and a zip line.  Sis wants to build the thing, and it's mainly her idea, but she refuses to do it unless he's out there with her.  She's trying to instill work ethic values that formed her (she owns her own engineering firm), but is having a hard time of it.  Dear Nephew is tasked with banging in some nails, does one and then says, "Mooooom, this is booooring"!  Next thing you know he's inside watching TV or whatever, and you have to grab him by the scruff again.

I'm reminded of Edward Abbey who responded to a job interview question of, "do you work well under duress"?, with "why yes -- in fact I work only under duress".  It's sort of hard to argue for or against that in a world where kids aspire to creating the next $30 million app, and carpenters are brown guys in crappy cars who speak a different language.

Dear Nephew has so far gone to a ridiculously expensive private school.  All of his classmates are wealthy white Christians, and he's thrived in that atmosphere.  He's chosen on his own to attend public 4th grade next season, partly because the bus gets him home 3 or 4 hours earlier, but also because he's curious about 'normal people'.  His current school has diversity of sorts -- he hears German, French, Italian, etc. spoken every day, but no Farsi, Spanish, the specific dialect of poor black Southern kids, or the hillbilly language of his roots.  Moreover, he doesn't know any kids who have too little to eat, or any who can't choose between an iPad or working outside.

I look forward to his move, though it'll mean a few hours here with his drunk uncle each afternoon when I have to make sure that he doesn't just latch onto the screen and zone out.  There's no other kid within miles that is near his age, and there is plenty of opportunity for creative boredom out here in the sticks if we choose to take it that way.

}}}}

irony. it's 'never' going to be boring for kids' these days.. or for unforeseen future...
da hel?

yikes
that was from today btw. creeeep.. of creeeeps i'm sure.

toomanny" nn" ha wackjob city

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service