Will you no longer eat at this restaurant?
I don't usually eat fast food - but I don't think I want to support this type of restaurant.
What do you think?

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

The president of Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain with more than 1,600 restaurants and $4 billion in revenue, has come out against same-sex marriage.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

In an interview with the Baptist Press published this week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company, founded by Dan's father, Truett Cathy, in 1946, has a history of "unapologetic social conservatism," as the Daily Caller put it. All 1,608 of its stores are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.

According to Queerty.com, the WinShape Foundation—Chick-fil-A's charitable arm—donated more than $1.1 million between 2003 and 2008 to anti-LGBT groups, doubling that amount to $2 million in 2009.

Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-20110812...

Views: 1987

Replies to This Discussion

everyone still boycotting this restaurant?

I am still boycotting Chick-fil-A. I have the memory of an elephant and if anyone violates a human rights issue once, and then says they didn't mean it, I know it is a face they put over their hypocrisy. I want no part of their enterprise. I learned the hard way, turn the other cheek and you get hit on the other cheek. I only have two cheeks. 

I'm with you, Joan!

They'd have to renounce and make amends for their previous wrong, not just stop contributing so much to particular causes and hope the issue goes away.

Again, I've never gone to a Chick-fil-A restaurant, won't now or in the foreseeable future, and now that I also know that Cracker Barrel has the same policy, they can forget my patronage as well.  PLENTY of other good places in Cleveland to eat as it is!

Steph, it's interesting to see what is happening here.  The Chic Fil-A CEO, Dan Cathy, has tried to divorce himself from social politics.  Apparently he has stopped contributing to anti-equality causes. Cathy stated it was a mistake for him to oppose same sex marriage. He also "doesn’t apologize for his previous public stance against gay marriage and, in fact, confirms that his personal position on same-sex marriage remains unchanged."

This has got the most virulently homophobic activists' panties in a bunch.  Scott Lively, whose "big lie" policies are especially to blame for homophobic legislation in Russia and Uganda, and working on spreading them elsewhere, writes that Don Cathy is now almost the next Satan.  Which is pretty hilarious.  He is religious enough, that his chain is the only major chain that remains closed on the major christian sabbath, Sunday.

Lively (what a paradoxical name) bemoans, "Where is courage in Christendom? Where is the loyalty to Christ that once placed love for Hid Word above every other thing, including life itself? Why have we become so afraid of the opinions of men who hate God and His truth?" and later states "The stress test of pressure from “gay” bullies....is an indicator of whether you have the faith and courage to choose Him over the things of this world. In my mind’s eye I used to see the Mark of the Beast as a black dot on the back of the hand. Now it looks more like a Chik Fil A sandwich. I’ll never buy another one, and I hope you won’t either."

This brings me to an interesting conundrum.  Is the enemy or our enemy, our friend?  Is Cathy stating, basically, "render unto $$$ what is $$$'s and render unto god what is god's", a separation of church and business?  

Do we have to not-buy products from people who dislike us, but are not going to oppose our rights openly?

If right wing christians now so hate Cathy that they are calling for a christian boycot of Chic Fil-A, what is the productive response for LGBT-friendly people?  

Do we show we answer to a higher, humanistic value, and support his company and their product when they are being attacked now by the most virulent homophobes?

By the way, they don't have Chik Fil-A in my area, and I'm vegetarian, so this is kind of academic regarding my personal choices.

Scott Lively, A veteran of the anti-gay movement, Lively has been actively propagandizing against LGBT people since the early 1990s, but he's perhaps best-known for co-writing the thoroughly discredited, Holocaust revisionist book The Pink Swastika: Homosexuality in the Nazi Party (1995), which claims that the Nazi party was full of gay men who, because of their "savagery," were able to carry out the Holocaust. In 2007, he co-founded the virulently anti-gay Watchmen on the Walls, an organization currently active more in Eastern Europe than the U.S. More recently, he got a new claim to fame when he presented his virulent views about homosexuality at a 2009 anti-gay conference in Uganda that is widely believed to have played a role in the drafting of Uganda's notorious "kill the gays" bill. Lively is president of Abiding Truth Ministries and director of Redemption Gate Mission Society, both currently based in Springfield, Mass.”

Southern Poverty Law Center - Intelligence Files - Scott Lively

Here is a paraphrase of Scott Lively's quote: 

Where is the courage in GLBTQ and non-believers? 

Where is the loyalty to evidence that once placed love for freedom above every other thing, including life itself? 

Why have we become so afraid of the opinions of men and women who hate GLBTQ and non-believers?

The stress test of pressure from homophobic religious bullies....is an indicator of whether you have the wisdom and courage to choose truth over the opinion of homophobic religious believers. 

I used to see the Mark of the Beast as a cross on a chain around a neck.  

Now it looks more like a homophobic religious bigot business person. 

I’ll never patronize another one’s enterprise. 

I hope you won’t either.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service