Will you no longer eat at this restaurant?
I don't usually eat fast food - but I don't think I want to support this type of restaurant.
What do you think?

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

The president of Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain with more than 1,600 restaurants and $4 billion in revenue, has come out against same-sex marriage.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

In an interview with the Baptist Press published this week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company, founded by Dan's father, Truett Cathy, in 1946, has a history of "unapologetic social conservatism," as the Daily Caller put it. All 1,608 of its stores are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.

According to Queerty.com, the WinShape Foundation—Chick-fil-A's charitable arm—donated more than $1.1 million between 2003 and 2008 to anti-LGBT groups, doubling that amount to $2 million in 2009.

Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-20110812...

Views: 1989

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Ruth for posting the article about the Muppets severing ties with Chick-Fil-A.
I love the Muppets!

Jeremy Hooper:

By now you've surely heard that the Jim Henson company has broken its partnership with Chick-Fil-A over the company's anti-equality stands. In honor of that move, I give you some truly grateful chickens:

http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/07/video-how-the-muppets-...

(with videos, less than 3 minutes)

I love the Muppets!

Thanks for the Muppet video Grinning cat!

Grinning Cat, great chickens from Henson's company.

Boston mayor’s letter to Chick-fil-A: Stay out of Boston!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/boston-mayor-letter-chick-fil-m...

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.'"

What an amazing, ill-informed and arrogant load of horse manure! Marriage has been redefined several times over the course of the history of the United States, not only in terms of who may get married (slaves and interracial couples) but the civil rights associated with being married.  Those rights now number over 1,000 and are virtually automatic for any heterosexual couple. Why same-sex couples shouldn't enjoy those same rights, I don't know and I would be dubious that Cathy could come up with a RATIONAL reason.

As for "god's judgment," that is a lame attempt at biblical intimidation, and Cathy deserves any mockery and derision he gets for indulging in it.

Agreed! And a double dose of cowardliness: Cathy can't stand on his own misinformation, he has to call in the bible as his authority. Talk about circular reasoning.

I've grown quite upset enough over this that I actually posted to my FB calling out any married friend of mine who was against marriage rights for homosexuals to give me a logical reason. I don't like offending folks, but this is about people's pursuit of happiness and I honestly don't see why folks are getting their panties all scrunched up about it.

I saw the letter from the Mayor of Boston in Hang With Friends. It got me thinking about the 1st Amendment.  It's one thing for individual citizens, like those of use here, to boycott a company.  And, I see the Muppets dis-association with Chick-Fil-A in the same vein. Private person or private company that can take a stand and refuse to engage in commerce with anyone they please.

However, we are now talking about government action. The Mayor of Boston is, after all, the chief officer and head of the executive branch of that municipal government. The First Amendment protects speech - both popular, which is easy, and unpopular, which is more difficult and more important to protect. Had he come out as a private citizen and expressed his displeasure, that's one thing. But his letter, on official Boston government stationary, makes it government action. And, it's government action stating that an otherwise legal entity, engaged in legal commerce, should not be allowed to do that, or advertise (a sign on the door announcing who they are).  I really don't see this difference in this, or a homophobic mayor of a different city publishing an official government memo saying Oreo cookies (a company that supports rights for all) should not be sold in his city.

It's unpopular speech, like the right of atheists to openly express their disbelief, or homophobes like Dan Cathy, that need protection. Not speech that the majority agrees with.

I agree that unpopular speech needs to be protected.  The government should not dictate the  beliefs of individuals.  I personally would oppose the company, as the means of expression that gives a bigot voice, and I support staying away from their stores.  But not government control of even bigoted opinions of business owners.

Pat, Thank You for the kind words to my blog post. This is a moment that
demonstrates the difference between critical thinkers and, to put it nicely,
the blind followers of faith. While we are able to analyze the argument as an
equal rights and free speech issue, the religious followers only see this as a
moral issue. It is taking atheists to make their argument for them. Of course
if they were to see the gay issue as an equal rights issue, we wouldn’t be
having these discussions

Interesting how the 15 minutes of fame works.  Haters are rallying around ChicFilA.  This via joe.my.god

Such inane people.  I despair of thinking we can have an intelligent discourse in the USA.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
13 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
A. D'Agio posted a photo
1 hour ago
anneshathaways posted blog posts
4 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
4 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
5 hours ago
Pandarius replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service