I can still fondly remember the cheese sandwiches my mom and grandma made.  Browed in a fry-pan or on top of a wood-burning stove, preferably with extra sharp cheddar, a little mayonnaise, and margarine on the outside.  One of the top delicious memories of my childhood.

I still make them once in a while, but mine can't compare to those in my memory.

I like all kinds of cheese except most blue cheeses I've purchased.  I've tried those blue cheeses probably 20 times, but they taste nasty.

I did have a Roquefort (cheese) dressing on my salad once in a restaurant in California that was excellent.  I now understand it's a type of blue cheese.  Since then I've only found Roquefort cheese once in a store, and a dressing once.  Although they were good, not nearly as good as that first dressing treat.  

The other cheese I like, that I understand is a blue, is a type of Gorgonzola.  What type I don't know.  I'm going to have to pay more attention if I'm going to talk about it.

I think, like all food experiences, the taste of cheese is dependent on who makes it and with what ingredients.

I look forward to your comments on cheese, especially learning from you.

Tags: Cheese, Roquefort

Views: 166

Replies to This Discussion

Alright, alright. So I now know what I'm having for supper tonight--a grilled ham and cheddar cheese sandwich using the last of my $12 a loaf gluten free bread I bought at a new bakery (never again). 

Spud, I love blue cheese on salads. Like wine, I'm no expert on cheeses. I just know what I like (or don't).

Talking about wine, since I left the mormon church, I've been trying some of the no-no foods.  Coffee, tea, and alcoholic beverages.

So far, I hate the one kind of beer I've tasted (horribly nasty stuff), and I don't like any drink with more than 3% alcohol (tastes like rotten fruit)(isn't that what it is?).  That is I hate everything except one wine out of the 7 I've tried.

Spud, I can't stand wine. I WANT to like it, but I can't. With my bad stomach, the only alcohol I can enjoy is beer, and only one or two, and not ver often!

Nice to meet another wine disliker. lol.

I do remember tasting a second kind of beer, and disliking it also.  Don't know what kind it was as it was in a barrel and I didn't think to ask.

I've had a bottle of Vodka hanging around unopened for several years now.  I didn't buy it to drink, just to use for cleaning and other things I've been using rubbing alcohol for, because the Vodka is cheaper.

I opened it yesterday to de-glaze my "non-stick" frying pan that I cooked octopus in because I didn't have any Sherry left.  Octopus produces the stickiest glue of any food I've seen!

Anyway, to make a long story short (too late!), I took a sip of the Vodka and found it unpleasant, and the 50% alcohol almost took my breath away.

The next strongest beverage I've tried was an imitation Port with 20% alcohol.  It was not bad.  A little sweet & chocolatey.

My husband doesn't often drink hard liquor, but he does like vodka and orange-juice, or vodka and tonic water occasionally when we are out somewhere.  He drinks a beer or two almost every night after work.  He likes to try different beers when he's out with friends, etc. which is not very often.

I suppose someone should start a discussion on alcoholic beverages, but I've been reluctant to because I don't know much about them, don't like most of them and don't intend on continuing to drink, at least not more than a taste here & there.  

From what I've read, more than a taste is not good for our health.  Once I determined I had enough self-control not to get hooked on them, I've just been tasting out of curiosity.

I've never been a "good" drinker.  I would have 3 beers max at a party, and I had a "buzz" (usually), and then the feeling would go away and I could not drink one more drop. My stomach has always hurt when I drink hard-liquor in a cocktail, and I didn't like the feeling hard-liquor gave me anyway.  I think I did one shot in my whole life that I remember.  It did nothing for me.

A friend that broke-up with me last year because I put something on Facebook criticizing the old testament, and she asked why I was "attacking xtians," is an alcoholic, and she would actually get MAD at me that I wouldn't get drunk with her.  Needless to say I don't miss her at all!!

Sounds like it's time to start a discussion on beers and ales and other things brewed!

Go ahead - the more the merrier!

Mindy, is the reason you can't take wine is that your stomach reacts badly to the 10% or so alcohol, or because it doesn't like something in the grapes?

It makes my reflux act-up, but I also can't stand the taste or smell.  I can't drink hard liquor because of my reflux, but I also don't like the taste of most of that.  I DO like beer, but not a lot of them.  Nothing dark.  I can only drink that on "good stomach days." :)

In my original post, it sounds like my grilled cheese sandwiches these days are not very good, but to clear-up any misunderstanding, they are very good.

Two days ago, I wanted one, but didn't have any cheddar, so I used pepper jack and loved it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service