Hi all. New to the group (but not A|N). I was wondering if anyone here cans or otherwise preserves their own food.  I do, and and am always looking for tips, suggestions, hints, recipes, etc. on food preservation. I'm fortunate to live in a rural area where, in the summertime, the fruits and vegetables are abundant. In addition (as an omnivore), I also make and can my own stock and vegetable broth . In fact, I'm the only person I know of that has a supply of canned pork stock - I cobbled together the recipe and used the same process for making and canning chicken and beef stock. I have a very large - actually massive - 41 quart pressure canner which, if you do large batches, saves a lot of time. Anyway, hints, tips, suggestions, or recipes are appreciated. 

Thanks

Pat

Views: 280

Replies to This Discussion

My pleasure Spud. And, like I put somewhere, this will work for making chicken stock also. I've got a butcher friend who can get me chicken necks - 20 lbs at a time. The two things I can't stress enough are respect for the pressure canner, and cleanliness. Knew a woman who decided to prematurely open a pressure cooker when she was cooking something at only 5 lbs. The reconstructive surgery to her face was not pretty.

Patricia, I used to dehydrate food also. In fact, had built my own which was the size of a standard refrigerator. As with the house, I lost that also in the divorce.  Always wanted to build another, but just never seemed to get around to it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service