In the Book of revelations there is a verse that speaks about the Mark of the Beast (traditionally 666) eventually being emblazoned on humans by Satan. Here's the verse:

"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." Revelation 13:16,17 (KJV)
If you Google "Revelation 13:16 UPC" or "Rev 13:116 Barcode" you will see thousands of sites that will swear that UPC codes, the bar codes that track inventory and sales for virtually every product on the planet, is the work of Satan. Those that don't credit it directly to satan see them as being tools that Satan will use and a precursor to his arrival now that UPC codes have been so widely accepted.

This isn't a new delusion. It's been going around for years. But what's amazing is how a new technology that has vastly improved inventory management and product identification, a benefit to business and consumer alike, has been given some supernatural ominous meaning by the theistically deluded.

I have to rate this as the stupidest Xtian belief ever. Have you a better one?

Tags: barcode, beast, mark, of, revelation, the, upc

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the stupidest Christian belief starts with the words, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth" and ends with the words "The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen."

Yeah... Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 21:21.

If you can swallow any bit of what's between these verses, you'll believe just about anything.
God is love.

A deity that claims to care about us all deeply, yet would condemn the vast majority of his "children" to eternal death and/or torment for no reason other than it can....and claims to love us all.
That's fucked UP, IMO, and doesn't make a damned bit of sense.

My kids can drive me nuts, but killing them isn't what pops to mind for discipline.....
Try to spend more than 5 minutes flipping through RaptureReady.com or AnswersInGenesis.com.

I did and my head started getting numb from the complete suspension of reality.
You're right, Verne. They claim to be friends of Israel even though they believe that the Jewish people will burn in hell for not following Jesus.

That Armegeddon/Rapture thing is a biggie among the evangelicals. They see no need to be concerned about environmentalism since the "holy" ones will be scooped up and brought to paradise, leaving the rest of us to clean up after them.
This is certainly one of the most fertile passage ever written, as it has spawned many sects and subsects of Christianity - I think the first Protestants called the Pope the antichrist- and continues to generate tinhattery. I wonder what kind of security Verichip has for their offices.
There are also many christians today who actually believe that the RFDI "chips" that can hold personal information such as our identification, medical history, and/or credit card information is the "Mark of the Beast" that; that quote prophesies; as they are inserted subdermally(under the skin) in the hand or forearm.

Making the supposition that we will have no need for physical money, and then making a correlation that we will only be able to purchase services, and items only after we have this chip/mark placed in/on us.

Katalyzt
Lots of said videos on YouTube on RFID 'chips' too.
LOL, I'm in Canada, and we have a card with our Social Insurance Number called an S.I.N. card. I'd call it a SIN card and my Christian friends would be like 'DON'T call it that!'. XD
Good old fashioned paranoia.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

k.h. ky replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
4 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
5 minutes ago
MattyLJ replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
9 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
12 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
18 minutes ago
MattyLJ posted a discussion
19 minutes ago
Deidre32 replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
23 minutes ago
24 minutes ago
28 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
31 minutes ago
MattyLJ liked Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
32 minutes ago
32 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service