Idiocy in England. Makes me angry. From the BBC, interspersed with my comments:

"David Cameron has said the UK is a Christian country "and we should not be afraid to say so".

In a speech in Oxford on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, the prime minister called for a revival of traditional Christian values to counter Britain's "moral collapse"."

Apart from the fact that the (in)sensitive statement "the UK is a Christian country" is an often repeated one from right-wing bigots, I thought it was Christianity that actually contributed to the moral collapse.

Which Christian values does he mean: Believing in the irrational and unverifiable? The belief that unless you are a Christian you will be damned for all eternity? That deferring your personal responsibility to a brutal blood sacrifice is ok?

Describing himself as a "committed" but only "vaguely practising" Christian, the PM admitted he was "full of doubts" about big theological issues.

Illogical and irrational. How can anyone commit oneself to any notion that they have many doubts about? This is also a double-talk 'Barnum Statement' because it says nothing. It is written to appeal to the believers and the more agnostic alike. It's like saying: 'I am a dedicated believer in my wife's fidelity, though I do have big concerns that's she's sleeping with someone else.' 

"We are a Christian country and we should not be afraid to say so," he told the audience at Christ Church.

"Let me be clear: I am not in any way saying that to have another faith - or no faith - is somehow wrong.

But that's exactly what Christianity says, you idiot; it insists that other faiths are wrong and promotes an 'us and them' attitude. It doesn't say they are somehow wrong; it says they are wrong.

the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too.

You mean like when muslims get spat at in the street and get told to 'go home' because this 'is a Christian country'? Well done, Cameron, you dribbling cretin.

the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too.

This guy obviously has not read any history books. Indeed, does he even have a TV or access the internet?

"And because many of the values of a Christian country are shared by people of all faiths and indeed by people of no faith at all."

If values of a Christian country are shared by people of all faiths why the need to specifically label the country Christian? Why not say that we share a common morality and common values? Call it humanism, call it whatever you want - don't call it anything at all. Only this will unite us.

I seems to me that the only reason to evoke Christianity is a desperate attempt to address the declining morality. But he falsely makes the classic polar argument 'it must be either this or god', just as people assume it must 'science or god'. There are alternatives - it just takes just a little bit of forward thinking and trust in mankind's ability to be a moral being.

According to wiki the UK is an ambiguously secular state. I think Cameron's statements do away with that ambiguity. I'm glad I no longer live there.

Tags: cameron, faith, god, religion, secular, uk

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh boy, here we go again. What an a-hole.

I hope you're referring to Cameron and not me! ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service