The generic "Politics" for this category of posting leaves me wondering, how many atheists and non-theists, freethinkers and agnostics belonging to A|N consider themselves a wonk.  (I used "Wonkette" facetiously and with reference to the dot com of a political blogger.)  If by now you still do not know what a wonk is, I recommend going back to your own planet and consulting its library.  Now, I only ask because I am actually curious about a matter.  Can anyone tell me how many vice-presidential candidates, whose ticket lost an election, actually went on to become president themselves when they ran at the top of the ticket?

I am only curious because Paul Ryan appeared on a morning political talk show and prove anew that we are about to see The Second Coming of the Purple Better One.  As I recall, that was the late William S. Burroughs' term for all politicians, for whom he had nothing but vitriolic disdain. He likened them to a certain ape that has a, you know, purple.....  Since they are all alike in their motive for running in the first place (to get rich, automatically eschewing altruism, casting it aside at the altar of Gold), altruism and profit being mutually exclusive.

Somehow, I simply cannot see Ryan in the White House.  No woman in her right mind would vote for him.  His sexist, Catholic ideas about women -- he supports state brainwashing of abortion patients in Christian dogmatic practices that should horrify everyone but the Stepford bitches who actually think a woman's place is to be her husband's "help mate."  Then, there is his threat to Social Security and Medicare.  Finally, there is his perennially smiling, perennially smug face.  When I die and go to hell Ryan will be there, pitchfork and tail.

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ha ha ha, that's right Pat!!!! :)

I'm no expert but the following is my current political hallucination...

Unfortunately, the other party must put up a candidate to oppose Ryan. Having put all their eggs in one basket, democrats will be most likely be putting up Biden for POTUS. That is, barring some unforseen political disaster like 9/11 2.0 or death. I personally like Biden but let's face it, he has the reputation for being an amusing buffoon. Unless the dem's gain some degree of seriousness about deficit reduction, an increasingly number of the electorate will see someone, indeed anyone of the fiscal conservative persuasion as a serious candidate. I think it's too early to anoint Ryan as the GOP candidate but I would not be surprised to see him out there stamping out any early competition. That's what I would do since Romney seems to be out permanently. Unless dem's start building support for the next election candidate early, they'll let Ryan back in the race before they even know the starting gates are open. I don't know if it's within the dem candidate power to do so but they stand the best chance if they can somehow manage to splinter the opposition.

On the GOP side, the candidate who can bind all anti-dem forces together will have a good chance of success. It's going to take someone with some serious political instincts to do so and he'll need titanium bands to keep the monkeys in the cage. I would think the GOP would have a better chance putting up a more moderate candidate but for some reason they don't seem to get it. The longer they're in the wilderness, the more wild they get. If the GOP has it's way this next election will not be about social issues. Every stump speech will be about economics, real or imagined. Even if the economy continues to improve, they'll attempt to shift the debate towards long term economic theory, which many people will buy into because they're scared. That could change depending upon just how much things improve.

I don't gamble much so I don't know what the term is for doubling what you've already doubled down own. Maybe cubing down?

Hillary!

Of Ryan, James says: "No woman in her right mind would vote for him."  But if every woman NOT in her right mind voted for him, and most old white men, he'd be a shoo-in.  Remember, there are women rabidly opposed to the Equal Rights Amendment.

Pathetic.  Women who think they are not as valid or as valuable as their husbands or sons or total strangers who happen to be male.  I am sorry, I cannot understand this.  These are the Stepford Bitches.

In answering your question of how many losing vice-presidential candidates lost an election then went on to become president, the same number as the number of winning vice-presidential candidates, depending on how you count: 2 to 4 each.

The problem with the number partly stems from the different methods we have used over the years for determining the vice-president.

For an explanation of who won and lost, and how those numbers (2-4) were arrived at, see this link at Answers.com.

Well, obviously, it is not unprecedented.  Drat!  The thought of Paul Ryan becoming president is just unbearable.

Ridiculous reply, fellow.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service