The generic "Politics" for this category of posting leaves me wondering, how many atheists and non-theists, freethinkers and agnostics belonging to A|N consider themselves a wonk.  (I used "Wonkette" facetiously and with reference to the dot com of a political blogger.)  If by now you still do not know what a wonk is, I recommend going back to your own planet and consulting its library.  Now, I only ask because I am actually curious about a matter.  Can anyone tell me how many vice-presidential candidates, whose ticket lost an election, actually went on to become president themselves when they ran at the top of the ticket?

I am only curious because Paul Ryan appeared on a morning political talk show and prove anew that we are about to see The Second Coming of the Purple Better One.  As I recall, that was the late William S. Burroughs' term for all politicians, for whom he had nothing but vitriolic disdain. He likened them to a certain ape that has a, you know, purple.....  Since they are all alike in their motive for running in the first place (to get rich, automatically eschewing altruism, casting it aside at the altar of Gold), altruism and profit being mutually exclusive.

Somehow, I simply cannot see Ryan in the White House.  No woman in her right mind would vote for him.  His sexist, Catholic ideas about women -- he supports state brainwashing of abortion patients in Christian dogmatic practices that should horrify everyone but the Stepford bitches who actually think a woman's place is to be her husband's "help mate."  Then, there is his threat to Social Security and Medicare.  Finally, there is his perennially smiling, perennially smug face.  When I die and go to hell Ryan will be there, pitchfork and tail.

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The "Purple Better One" ... you mean Barney the Dinosaur?

The GOP presidential ticket in the election just past consisted of a man who barely wanted to be president and a man who had no business being either vice-president OR president.  I suppose that, if the GOP can manage to retreat from its far-right excursions, that Paul Ryan MIGHT be a touch more acceptable to voters, but there would remain the matter of his previous speech and positions from the 2012 election.  Offhand, I'd say the media won't let him or the voters forget that, and disavowals in favor of a new, bluer Paul Ryan are not likely to wash too well.

You suppose Romney could use some help over at Marriott?

"You suppose Romney could use some help over at Marriott?"  Yes, he constantly complains that handing out towels in the men's room is only fit for a black person or Hispanic.  He also does not like making $7.50 an hour and wants a higher minimum wage.  And he grumbles about the tips being miniscule now that eight years of George W. Bush have almost destroyed the economy, put millions out of work, and brought us to the brink of bankruptcy and/or a Second Great Depression.  He confides: "If that rich ignoramus from Midland, Texas, hadn't fucked everything up during his two terms, the voters wouldn't blame me.  I coulda been somebody.  I coulda been a contendah." You might say Mittens is embarrassed at ending up in the Marriott men's room, but that's about the best he could get since every potential employer said "overqualified." 

If there is a hell, I seriously doubt Ryan will be in it. I think Satan has better taste, with regard to his social calendar, than to extend an invitation to him.

Pat is correct - Ryan would just be terrible and like you said James "No woman in her right mind would vote for him.  His sexist, Catholic ideas about women -- he supports state brainwashing of abortion patients in Christian dogmatic practices that should horrify everyone but the Stepford bitches who actually think a woman's place is to be her husband's 'help mate.'"

I would never vote for that.

Thanks for quoting the most awkward sentence.  Funny, I had you lusting to be a Stepford Woman.  ;-)

Exactly Steph!!!

The people that go to hell are the ones that actually want to go. Humorously posited by George B. Shaw in the 3rd act of Man and Superman - Don Juan in Hell.

Besides, we get to meet Voltaire, Hemingway, Mark Twain, Einstein, among many, many others.  All you get up there are the Jerry Falwells.

I'm with you James!~ Melinda

James  - yes - exactly

Jerry fallwell?  Good grief.  Eternity with that gasbag? Are we sure we don't have heaven and hell confused?

That's the point, isn't it?  One person's heaven is another person's hell.  So why was Jerry Falwell telling us all how to run our lives?  When I studied religion I read a bit about the Yezidis of Iraq.  The few of them remaining (those who survived Saddam's pogroms) still worship Satan as the "ruler of the world."  It was interesting to see an antinomian gnostic sect in the Muslim world.  In their belief that the planet is in the clutches of the Devil, the Yezidis were like the Ophites, whose consecration of sacramental bread began with having snakes crawl over the loaves prior to ritual consumption by congregants.  The implication would have to be that both the Qu'ran and the Bible are the collected lies of the Devil.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

sk8eycat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
10 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
27 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
27 minutes ago
32 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
33 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion ALL Politicians Should Be Made to Read: "Homosexuality, atheism etc: What's it to you?"
41 minutes ago
Mike Mitchell commented on Mike Mitchell's blog post Why You Shouldn’t Announce Your Atheism
43 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck posted a discussion
45 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Kansas "Religious Liberty" bill
56 minutes ago
Napoleon Bonaparte posted videos
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown replied to Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown replied to Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service