Does anyone know of a website that lists companies who either openly or covertly proselytize? I've surfed the net, but came up with nothing. Apparently, IN-N-OUT Burger is one of those companies who push their religion on it's customers, by placing references to bible quotes on it's products. Check out this pic of the bottom of one of their cups:

http://yfrog.com/1a6perj

I don't patronize IN-N-OUT Burger, only because there isn't one close to where I live. But, I will decidedly avoid them now after seeing this. CREEPY!!!

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not getting worked up, just expressing my personal preference and right to not do business with such companies. I'm not asking you to follow my lead. I'm just making a list. :)

How do you think a theist would react if they saw something like "No gods, no masters" on something they spent their hard earned money on? It's a good bet that hey would not buy anything from that company again! In fact, they would probably get their undies in a bunch over it, then get the local media involved....and then it would be on Faux Noise!!! LOL
Not only would it be all over Faux Noise but there'd be protests, death threats, bomb threats and the place would most likely go out of business.

Matt, your post reads as if you are worked up over it.

I rarely eat fast food anyway, but will know now to avoid In-N-Out.

Yes, it's just a little "John 3:16" in tiny print on the bottom of their cups. True, it might not affect their hiring/firing practices.

But it's still unnecessary and sleazy in my opinion. In fact, it's often the M.O. of these Xian groups to sneak the Jesus on you that way so you won't notice until after you've left their presence, so you won't confront you in the store. Reminds me of when people would tip me, then later I'd unfold the $20 to find it's not a real $20 but a "Jesus Saves" pamphlet. Sleazy, underhanded, unwanted, vile.

Same thing here. It's like they're saying "Gotcha! You're supporting a bible-thumping company!"

If an employee says "God Bless" or something like that, I don't take it out on the company. It's probably just the employee. But when the company opts to sell religion, that's a different story altogether. No slushee or burger is that delicious that I wouldn't just go to the next fast food joint over.
While I'm not much of a fast food person (though I do enjoy a good burger), I really don't care about this. Nihilism aside, it just comes off as a silly reason not to eat somewhere. Sure, they have little Bible quotes, but it's nothing more than a gimmick that probably helps them get more Christian customers. From what I've heard, they have really good food, and that's all that matters.

And yes, a Christian probably wouldn't dine at a restaurant with Atheist quotes posted everywhere, but I'm not exactly on the same level as a Christian am I? On the logic side of things, I'm better than them. Therefore, my logic shouldn't match theirs.
Humbly modifying my previous answer here...

I do make some cultural exceptions, as I am being reminded as I try out a Mexican place for the first place and am facing the standard crucifix and saint shrine in the corner. Same thing with many Asian restaurants.

To me, that's a lot different than printing bible verses on the cup or even a sign in the window. These little shrines are recessed somewhere and have more to do with the cultural flavor than any desire on the owners' part to proselytize. I don't feel it's being pushed on me. It's just kind of there, like the American tradition of framing your store's first dollar bill to put on display, or a garden gnome in the garden.

To that end, I suppose one could say it's an Evangelical Christian's "cultural tradition" to proselytize. But still, in my eyes, it's very different. One is colorful, local flavor. The other is just sleazy pushing religion on me.

Sorry In-N-Out. I'll be hanging out at Rolberto's.
So if you go to a minority restaurant and there is a cross in the corner, it is culture, but if you find the same in a non-minority owned restaurant, it is proselytizing? This is just a total double standard. Either example is a statement of religion, and both are probably put up for the same essential reason: because the owner is of that religion! I wouldn't assume that b/c there is a cross, the person is proselytizing. (There are probably also restaurants with stars of David, and they usually aren't thought of as proselytizing). I'm sure there are some that put up a symbol of their religion without trying to push it on others. Likewise, I've been to "cultural" places like India where Christianity was pushed on me more forcefully than it's ever been in America.
So if you go to a minority restaurant...

I wasn't really thinking in terms of 'minority' restaurant. I was thinking of them as cultural/ethnic restaurants. How's this: An Irish pub having a Saint Patrick's Day party. With a permanent wall decoration of an ornate Celtic Cross. As such ingrained aspects of the culture, I wouldn't necessarily feel hit with the proselytizing grenade.
well, around the bread sections in Publix stores there usually lies proselytizing in the form of books... amazing how many sub-food-places to eat they run under other names/corps..
their big corp website mantra is; work your way up to real estate... so, do the guess on their biggest sale item. I guess either the CEO is a fundie or they'll eat their money too, dunno...
Chick-fil-A large chain food restaurant in the south and is an openly 'christian' company. I've seen christian based messages framed on the walls of several of their restaurants, and they are closed on sundays.
Of course, restaurants are not the only businesses on my ($)hit list. Check out the mission statement for Interstate Batteries:

To glorify God as we supply our customers worldwide with top quality, value-priced batteries, related electrical power-source products, and distribution services. Further, our mission is to provide our partners and team members with opportunities which are profitable, rewarding and growth-oriented.

Tell me that doesn't creep you out just a little bit.
Tell me that doesn't creep you out just a little bit.

It doesn't. It creeps me out a whole freakin' lot.

And going back to once upon a time when I was a Xian, my response would have been along the lines of "How insulting to God to use him as a marketing tool to sell your shitty product."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service