Brother Richard deserves to be paid. A|N deserves support. There should be paid staff.

I have never met Br. Richard, and other than a very small number of emails, have not communicated with him. He may even be pissed at me for starting this topic, I have not discussed it with him. I recently noted this, which I've copied from here.

"As of now, if it wasn't for the $150 bucks we get from Google ads, we would only get about $35 bucks from monthly donations. All of this from a site that gets over 200,000 unique monthly visitors, almost 1,000,000 monthly page views, and is in the top 75,000 most visited sites on the Internet."

What? You gotta be fucking kidding? I felt guilty about the $15.00 monthly that I started via pay pal this summer. This is not tooting my nown horn, I think I should be paying more too. That means that the other 10,000 members are paying a collective fucking $20.00 a month? If every member paid 10 cents a month, it would be $100.00 monthly. If 100 members paid $25 a month, it would be $2,500 monthly.

I realize that incomes are highly variable, and some members don't have a pot to piss in, and everyone has some sort of financial challenge. But is A|N really that unimportant?

OK, Br. Richard, I know you'll be reading this. Time for you to get off your ass, too, and work on how to make this pay. Does Ning not allow pay? That might be an issue. But how about some form of paid membership. Voluntary, so there would still be unpaid membership, because the financially strapped members do contribute in a meaningful way. But some 'bonus' for paid membership. Alternatively, similar bonus for nonpaid roles such as moderator or website development, organizing, outreach. What is the bonus? I'm not sure. Even a fucking A|N coffee cup, A|N button, personal thong verified as worn by Br. Richard, stratified for "silver member" "gold member", "Platinum member", or whatever you want to call it, is better than the special place we get in heaven for "giving" a contribution. The T-shirts are great - but that's selling T-shirts, and doesn't have the same feel as contributing to A|N. Be that as it may, a $365.oo annual membership, $1.00 per day might warrant the Tshirt plus the thong.....

A PBS / NPR -style over-the-internet fundraiser, while annoying, would be an option. Say, a moving banner, or some other function, that briefly describes the role / benefit of membership / contribution, and offering an easy way to do so?

It's not just a matter of paying Br. Richard. Having paid membershipswould allow for functions that would improve the site, advertise, put up cool billboards like other Atheist groups are doing... whatever.

I'm not stuck on any of these ideas. With many intelligent, devoted, active members, we should be able to support the important role of A|N and further the cause of atheism. I want to see Br. Richard drive up in his pink Rolls Royce and a carnation in his lapel, but it would be a start if we at least gave him a dandelion in a coffee cup.

Come on, godless heathens - earn a silver lining for your clouds in heaven. Lets work on getting some dollars flowing.

Tags: Brother Richard, membership

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Conventions in March 12-14.
MIght not be possible - but getting off topic, and will file in my dreams folder.
off topic.

"get into trouble with my other half for doing this"

When I got married I made a deal with my wife. For each of us, a percentage of each individual's paycheck would go to our own splurge fund. Each of us could spend money from our own fund on what ever we wanted, no questions asked. It works great.
"does paypal take some off the top"

I am not a paypal expert but I'm pretty sure they do.

"Louis, if you will keep track, that will help tremendously."

My pleasure.
Maybe we should write a check on Oct 15th then? I dont know how all of this works
I think we should do whatever Br. Richard thinks will work best.
@Sydni,
Thank you so much!
I agree with you on the quiescent members, too. I added a comment above on some thoughts about that topic. I suspect that most are like readers of online magazines, enjoying the content, and getting great benefit from the atheist connection, but that satisfies their need. Not everyone wants to or feels like engaging in the discussion, but they may still be here. Outreach of some sort might get people more engaged.
Just made a $25 donation, but didn't know at the time you were doing this. Wow- cool!
Hey not a problem. I understand. Thanks for your support.
Just posted this on the Aussie, Kiwi and South Pacific Atheists Group (in the information section). It would be great if other people with groups could do something similar and really get the word out.

Atheist Nexus Fundraising Drive

It has come to light that this site is running on next to nothing and that our administrator, Brother Richard, is working practically 24/7 on the site at crippling financial cost to him and his family. This can't go on.

Please read this post by Daniel Pio Apostata about the need for greater financial assistance for the site and its administrator.

Generously, Daniel and Louis Davout have each promised to match donations of US$25 or more made between now and 15 October up to a maximum of $750 each. That's a potential commitment of $1500 to the site from just two members. If you can possibly manage it, please click the big green donate button in the side bar and chip in what you can - then let Louis know you've donated, so he can add your donation to their tally.

Please show our generous Aussie and Kiwi spirit. No-one's getting rich out of this site and Richard's no Benny Hinn. If you enjoy Atheist Nexus then please consider making a contribution.
If Ning does not allow pay, can a separate "Atheist Nexus Foundation" be set up as a nonprofit venture group, to get things moving?
Alternatively, every time you visit, just click on those bloody irritating adverts which claim Darwin was wrong, there is a god, etc. etc. We've all seen them - click them and then close the window. Don't overdo it or it will look to Google like we're orchestrating clicks, but every little helps and it drains the funds of those intent on targeting people who really aren't interested in their B/S.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service