Brother Richard deserves to be paid. A|N deserves support. There should be paid staff.

I have never met Br. Richard, and other than a very small number of emails, have not communicated with him. He may even be pissed at me for starting this topic, I have not discussed it with him. I recently noted this, which I've copied from here.

"As of now, if it wasn't for the $150 bucks we get from Google ads, we would only get about $35 bucks from monthly donations. All of this from a site that gets over 200,000 unique monthly visitors, almost 1,000,000 monthly page views, and is in the top 75,000 most visited sites on the Internet."

What? You gotta be fucking kidding? I felt guilty about the $15.00 monthly that I started via pay pal this summer. This is not tooting my nown horn, I think I should be paying more too. That means that the other 10,000 members are paying a collective fucking $20.00 a month? If every member paid 10 cents a month, it would be $100.00 monthly. If 100 members paid $25 a month, it would be $2,500 monthly.

I realize that incomes are highly variable, and some members don't have a pot to piss in, and everyone has some sort of financial challenge. But is A|N really that unimportant?

OK, Br. Richard, I know you'll be reading this. Time for you to get off your ass, too, and work on how to make this pay. Does Ning not allow pay? That might be an issue. But how about some form of paid membership. Voluntary, so there would still be unpaid membership, because the financially strapped members do contribute in a meaningful way. But some 'bonus' for paid membership. Alternatively, similar bonus for nonpaid roles such as moderator or website development, organizing, outreach. What is the bonus? I'm not sure. Even a fucking A|N coffee cup, A|N button, personal thong verified as worn by Br. Richard, stratified for "silver member" "gold member", "Platinum member", or whatever you want to call it, is better than the special place we get in heaven for "giving" a contribution. The T-shirts are great - but that's selling T-shirts, and doesn't have the same feel as contributing to A|N. Be that as it may, a $365.oo annual membership, $1.00 per day might warrant the Tshirt plus the thong.....

A PBS / NPR -style over-the-internet fundraiser, while annoying, would be an option. Say, a moving banner, or some other function, that briefly describes the role / benefit of membership / contribution, and offering an easy way to do so?

It's not just a matter of paying Br. Richard. Having paid membershipswould allow for functions that would improve the site, advertise, put up cool billboards like other Atheist groups are doing... whatever.

I'm not stuck on any of these ideas. With many intelligent, devoted, active members, we should be able to support the important role of A|N and further the cause of atheism. I want to see Br. Richard drive up in his pink Rolls Royce and a carnation in his lapel, but it would be a start if we at least gave him a dandelion in a coffee cup.

Come on, godless heathens - earn a silver lining for your clouds in heaven. Lets work on getting some dollars flowing.

Tags: Brother Richard, membership

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

VPLs?
I had to google on it too. Visible Panty Lines. Not really an issue when wearing Mom-jeans.
What's all the fuss? I love my g-strings. They're the most comfortable things I have to wear.

Of course, they don't offer much support, so I have a couple pairs of things that add a little lift, but you don't need that EVERY day...
I've decided to hold out for a monogrammed kilt. You dont need to be celt to wear a kilt.

Plus, who needs support when you can be free?

Just need an A|N monogram. Or a strategic A|N tattoo, only visible in a gusty wind. I'll do it if Br. Richard does.
Man, I wish I had the legs for it. Really! But we black guys just don't have the calves.
@AcesLucky,
If sports legends can show their legs on the track and basketball court, you can show yours on the street!
Kilts are post Celt.
Hydraulic things?
Hint: I'd pay $25/year to disable the ads, I have done it in the past... but I don't know if Ning makes this possible.
I throw a 20 in every few months to alleviate guilt at running ad-block
I've talked with Richard several times about trying to move the community to a more robust and usable custom back-end, but we are limited by the fact that we have no money to hire the team of coders necessary to pull off such a feat.

In my opinion, we've outgrown Ning.

But, the simple fact is that with no glowering sky-daddy to scare or bribe people into giving money, it just doesn't happen. That is a good and a bad thing.

In the mean time, if you want to support the site, I suggest buying a t-shirt. You get something and the site gets something. Good deal, no?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

booklover commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
11 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
16 minutes ago
Pat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
16 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
20 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion January and Exponential Ebola in the group Mathematics
21 minutes ago
Mequa liked Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
23 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
37 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
38 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
39 minutes ago
40 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ebola in the group Medical Atheists
41 minutes ago
43 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service