The first thing I did was ask her why brain damage causes memory loss. She replied that damage to the memory center of the brain would result in a loss of memory because that is where memories are stored. I then explained to her that when you die your memory center dies as well. She agreed to that. Then I said, so when you are dead you have no memory. Therefore when you get to heaven you have no memories. She did not know what to say.

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"...maybe I should just let her have her beliefs...."

I hope none of us kick crutches from under people who need them.

I hope too that all of us resist their efforts to make us depend on their crutch.

Maybe Christians think that souls have memories....  I would like to hear more about the description of this 'soul'.  I don't imagine a Christian can point out the soul region on a chart of the human body.  Unless he/she points to the BRAIN...which really IS the source of religious belief. 

Souls go to heaven, supposedly, not bodies.  Spiritual entities, not Physical.   And there are 'lost souls'....which I imagine describes an atheist soul.  I guess we have some 'soul-searching' to do...ha ha.

I asked a guy what he would do if he had a number of wives pre decease him. Which wife would he be obligated to associate with and for how long. Got that quizzical look like a dog that tilts his head and raises one ear. He looked a little distressed.

For most of us on this site who have pondered the absurdity of what religious belief proposes it is hard to imagine going through life  never seriously considering these notions. Some folks seem to manage.

And some of those wives wouldn't KNOW about the other wives, right?? That could be a messy situation:  "SO you moved on, I see....", "HEY, you said I was the only one you'd ever love.", "Seriously, Phyllis from down the street...reallllly?" 

One would hope god would let us look our best in heaven...and not decrepit...not that I'll be there...I'm just saying.... eternity is a LONG time.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my Grandma years ago.  I asked her if she thought she'd be in heaven with my Grandpa.  She obviously didn't want to be because she said she didn't think you had to be with your spouse in heaven!  As my cousin pointed out, the marriage vows do say til' death do us part! LOL
ha ha..that's funny...who says a wife would desire to spend an eternity with somebody they barely tolerated for 60 years.... 'til death do us part' is a blessing in itself...ha. (Finally, I can take ballroom dancing lessons.....).  The afterlife should be an upgrade.

Hehe, reading this thread got me wondering...

how about epidermal skin? It's dead tissue, would that pass on to heaven? Or hair for that matter?

It would be quite awful arriving in heaven, only to be seen by your deceased relatives as a scorched, hairless nude.

On the other hand, if hair and dead tissue did cross to the other side... would all the hair and skin that we discard through life, be waiting for us in a corner of heaven?... ick

Sad thing about there not being a heaven.... it stops us from having a discussion about all these strange and awkward possibilities :). Though listening to theists trying to come up with answers can be quite fun.

There not being a heaven doesn't stop us from having a discussion....

Reincarnation makes as much sense as xianity's next life. I like to tell xians:

1. The next time around on my way to nirvana I will choose my parents more carefully, or

2. In my next life I will be a part time lawyer and a part time massage therapist and get my clients' bank accounts and their bodies.

I can indulge in as much imagination as they.

I'm surprised she didn't say that somehow, the soul stores your memories and personality, like a backup drive, so when you get to heaven, you don't lose any information.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service