This has nothing to do with atheism, but I have a small question that came to mind after seeing it on CNN.

What are birthers going on about and why?

I understand that it is a rule that only naturalized citizens can become president and so Schwarztneger couldn't run without a change to our constitution.

However as I understand it, a child born to American parents in a foreign country is a citizen of both countries. So even if he were born in Kenya (which doesn't seem at all likely) then wouldn't be still a naturalized citizen.

I just wikied birthers, where I read that an alternative theory of theirs is that he lost his citizenship when his family moved to Indonesia. I am not as sure how the rules on that work, but I suspect our citizenship rules on that would also be just as inclusive where he being but a minor would not have lost his American citizenship in that case either.

Idk. And I figured as plenty of people here are Obama supporters yall would appreciate the opportunity to bash birthers.

Tags: Obama, birthers, politics

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

However as I understand it, a child born to American parents in a foreign country is a citizen of both countries. So even if he were born in Kenya (which doesn't seem at all likely) then wouldn't be still a naturalized citizen.

Only if the child is born on American soil like a military base.

I just wikied birthers, where I read that an alternative theory of theirs is that he lost his citizenship when his family moved to Indonesia. I am not as sure how the rules on that work, but I suspect our citizenship rules on that would also be just as inclusive where he being but a minor would not have lost his American citizenship in that case either.

They would only lose their citizenship if they took on Indonesian citizenship.  His being a minor would have absolutely nothing to do with it.

"Only if the child is born on a military base."

That would explain their actions, but I am unable to find that restriction stated anywhere. Instead I keep reading that a child born to American citizens in a foreign country achieves dual citizenship in almost all circumstances. Exceptions involve if the child is born out of wedlock or if the parents somehow have not made it to America.

The issue involving Indonesia is a bit more unclear but still I don't see that he would have lost his American citizenship. As I understand that the only way he would have lost his citizenship that way would be if he renounced his American cizenship. As he was a minor he would have been unable to do that.
It's hard to take your ideas seriously when you misquote me even though you are correct
Sorry, I would have liked to have cut and pasted your quote, but either this devise doesn't allow that or I am simply ignorant of the method,Idk. I don't really so how I screwed up the spirit of what you were saying tho.
You do it the same way as on any other website highlight and copy.  Not a problem either way.

And people like Donald Trump represent an embarrassment to the USA.  He symbolizes those parts of America that are arrogant, self-important, and frightened by the diverse nature of our country.  I cannot possibly take people like Mr Trump seriously...as presidential material or as a leader.  Like most liberals/progressives, I see Mr Trump's presidential running as a sideshow and meant for entertainment purposes only.

The fact that people laud him as some successful business tycoon shows how ignorant they are.  The man has filed bankruptcy three times in his business lifetime.  That's a fail if you ask me.  I'm surprised he finds anyone to lend him money anymore.  It's nothing but a stunt to boost his ratings.
John D, I have to respectfully disagree with you.  Not all birthers are fucking idiots. Some are fucking evil clowns.  I think Trump is a fucking evil clown, it's too hard for a fucking idiot to become a billionaire.

As someone who grew up in the South and was a brainwashed Christian for most of my life I can tell you plainly that ignorant white protest groups like the birthers cannot handle having a black President.  

Obama is actually trying to help the poor like their god commands (That which you do unto the least of you, you also do unto me...the meek shall inherit the earth...etc).  Instead of being happy with this they scream and yell when Obama tries to make it easier for them to get health care and claim it takes away their freedom.  

When Obama attempts to help save the economy by letting the tax cuts for the rich expire they lose their minds because somehow if a rich person gets more money the magical jobs factory will open.  They all collectively forget that their god said, "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of god."  Maybe they believe if they pray hard enough they'll win the lottery and become wealthy too.

Fundamentalists (which I'd bet a large number of birthers are) also believe that the President isn't elected, he's appointed by god.  A guess god appointing a black man is like the dinosaurs, a test of their faith.

Birthers cannot deal with the fact that a black man is smarter than they are and that he is their leader.

bingo!

GOP pivots on ‘birther’ questions, blames Obama for media attention. Read the rest at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop_pivots_on_birther_questi...

How can any concessions, any arguments work with this group of bigoted morons?

Personaly I don't have a dog in this fight. I never saw Obama as the saviour that plenty seem to, tho I do think he is smarter than his predecessor and I can believe easily enuf that plenty of his opposition is prompted largely by racism. This would would explain their opposition, but not what they hope to accomplish saying he was born in Kenya. I am at a loss as to understanding what they hope to accomplish, as it seems to me that he is still a U.S. citizen even if he was born in Kenya or even if his parents did became Indonesian citizens.

Could someone direct me to a site where this law is explained otherwise. From all I have been able to discover, citizenship rules are such that he is a citizen regardless. Failing that I will have to remain totally bewildered as to what the birthers hope to accomplish.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Mississippi Group Seeks to Declare Christianity as State Religion
9 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Daniel W's group Food!
9 minutes ago
Kacie Tsao commented on Kacie Tsao's blog post Religion is somehow different… (a meandering ramble about linguistics, atheism, and weird cognitive biases)
10 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Deidre's discussion When is it wrong to forgive?
12 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Deidre's discussion When is it wrong to forgive?
13 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Mississippi Group Seeks to Declare Christianity as State Religion
16 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Deidre's discussion When is it wrong to forgive?
19 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Pat's discussion Catholic Church Welcomes LGBTQI - NAW! Just Kidding, Suckers. We Still Loathe You!
54 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion People Generally Don't Like Whistle Blowers
1 hour ago
Marie Walewska added a discussion to the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
1 hour ago
Profile IconMaghan Dodd and Deconverted Afro-Queen joined Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to Pat's discussion Catholic Church Welcomes LGBTQI - NAW! Just Kidding, Suckers. We Still Loathe You! in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service