Bill O'Reilly & Deepak Chopra claim they "kicked Richard Dawkins' ass"

(11/3/11) Hollywood is famous for putting fantasies onscreen but sometimes they get outdone by the claims of television personalities. Check out the video from at left and see if that's not the case here. Conservative commentator Bill O'Reilly, who hosts The O'Reilly Factor on the Fox News network, features a recurring segment called Believers vs Non-Believers. On it last night, he reran parts of an earlier show where he locked horns with famed biologist and atheist, Prof. Richard Dawkins, claiming that Dawkins' new science book for children, The Magic of Reality, was an attempt to "get to the kids and say you're an idiot if you believe in God."

He used that to enlist his current guest, spirituality and alternative medicine promoter, Deepak Chopra, who (like Dawkins had been) was there to promote a book, into a criticism of the absent atheist... not that Chopra was reluctant to chime in.

More, including a video, here.

Tags: Bill O'Reilly, Deepak Chopra, Richard Dawkins

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I want to see a clip of Bill O'Reilly being beaten with chairs by Al Franken and Phil Donahue. HAHA

(Disclaimer: I really don't wish a beating on even such a towering dumb-ass as O'Reilly)

I have a better idea ... a straight-up, moderated debate between him and Hitchens or Dawkins or Dennett or Harris ... where he DOESN'T control the format and has to play by the same rules as everyone else.  He would get trashed so fast it would make his head swim ... and it would likely be the ONLY situation under which I would even bother to watch anything that involved him or anyone associated with Faux Noise.
Loren has a good idea. I like it.
Me too. It happens sometimes anyway when Pat gets interviewed on some other network.

You cant explain that!

MB

^ correct! 
@treefire- IDK, what about Glenn Beck?
I was going to say that, but Glenn Beck is just frickin' dumb.
I read somewhere that Bill O'Reilly is really a well read nice guy, but is a totally different person on camera. He knows what sells and controversy sells. I noticed that more than half that segment was Dawkins bashing. They didn't offer any evidence or a good argument why no one should believe Dawkins, just bad mouthed him. That works with the religious folk.
Yeah, no one wants the truth anymore, they want to see opinion rudely spouted by other talking heads. I try and stay away from faux news, but will listen to it a bit if I'm in the mood for some comedy or want to scream at someone.

TK;

I think you’re right with that observation.  The inter tubes and the proliferation of “information” channels and stations allows us to seek out only those sources that affirm what we already believe. 

Why look for stuff that challenges my bias, or confronts my prejudice??  I’m more comfortable here on A/N, or reading the New Yorker or Nation Magazine. And I’m sure that those who watch Faux News to wallow in the warm comforting glow of the Hannity/O’Really? images feel the same way about those sources of the "truth".

It is little wonder that the U.S. is so divided.  I can’t imagine how it will not get worse.

i had seen that video when they linked in on richardawkins.net.  i loved how they were sooooo certain that Dawkins was an idiot for saying that America wasn't founded on Christian principles.  "the 10 commandments are in every court house..." argument is their version of "proof".  well then, case closed! 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service