Hi there,

Been engaging in discussions with a friend who is a "conservative Evangelist" and was wondering what you guys think is the best question to ask that will get a Christian brain "thinking"...?

Thanks for ideas,

Linda

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why won't god confirm his existence, like he (supposedly) used to do? It sure would solve a lot of problems.

That's a good one to ask, Future, but then you will find that the modern apologetics kicks in with them and they explain that "faith" makes you the more blessed today for believing this bullshit without any evidence at all. You may hear about doubting Thomas or any other ad homs while they avoid the question. The end result is that they believe god exists because he does not show himself, and this is the "secret" that they know and we do not. Therefore, the christian goes through life like the cat who has the canary in his mouth. He smiles because he "knows" what we do not. The real true believer will handle every question the same way.

God said it

They believe it

And that settles it

They hate that we might say "god is dead." Truth is, there was never any evidence that god was alive!

Then I guess a better question would be "why did god used to make his presence known, when it is clear that belief in god based on evidence does not represent true faith?" I thought he was infallible.

From The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Now, it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful [as the Babel fish] could have evolved purely by chance that some have chosen to see it as the final proof of the NON-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Stupid God ... all he had to do was quickly retort that he works in mysterious ways, then everything would have magically resolved itself.

Why does gawd keep ''blessing'' the poorest of the poor with babies they can't feed, & then not provide the food himself?

Why does gawd ignore birth defects, or leave children & families to suffer a lifetime of torment?

Why are babies born with cancer, go through months/years of horrid chemo, & die anyway?

Why does gawd allow rape/kidnap/murder of children? If that's the ''plan'', it doesn't wash or deserve worship!

I'm obviously cribbing this but what the heck:

Why won't god heal amputees?

Yahweh has apparently done everything from curing Aunt Hattie's lumbago to helping Reverend Jones find his car keys ... but he seems to have this GRUDGE about people who have lost limbs.

WHYIZZAT?

Love your ideas, keep 'em coming!

I guess y'all agree that it can be really frustrating and difficult to have any constructive discussions with theists about their beliefs. My friend is actually a doctor and was telling me yesterday how she can't refer women for an abortion due to her faith...and this would also apply to rape victims....

You might mention to her that there are many more miscarriages and fertilized eggs that never implanted than there have EVER been abortions ... not that that will matter to her, but I figure, what the heck.

True true... It's a difficult one to discuss with someone you otherwise like and respect. We're not that close though, so I can't quite pluck up the courage to really challenge her. Easier when dealing with some random person, like the two Jehova's witnesses that turned up at my doorstep today..

[Loren nods knowingly.] Been there, done that.

Why are they so against abortion when their gawd is the biggest abortionist of all?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service