im new to atheism and i had a few questions about general beliefs

how did we get here?

why are we here?

how do we know what's true and what is not?

Why is there good/evil?

how do we overcome evil?

how do we become happy?

what happens when we die?

thanks guys

Tags: atheism, beliefs, questions

Views: 973

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

#1  Evolution

#2  Why is anything on this great planet

#3  You use better judgement with reasoning and mix it up with a heap of physical evidence and wala!

#4  There is no such thing as good and evil.  They are made up words.

#5  Evil?  What is evil?

#6  Do things that make you happy and live your life for you before death.

#7  Your body is either burned or burried.  As your body degrades it feeds micro organisms that feed plants that in turn feed animals.  Your energy passes to other living things.  Of course you aren't aware of it though.

This is just my way of thinking

how did we get here?  Evolution.

why are we here?  No reason.

how do we know what's true and what is not?  Science.

Why is there good/evil?  Pass for now.

how do we overcome evil? Pass for now.

how do we become happy?  Pass for now.

what happens when we die?  Nothing.

how did we get here?- Your ancestors left Africa about 60,000 years and entered the Americas about 10,000 years ago. You are probably related to recent European invaders who's ancestors entered Europe about 40,000 years ago and possibly related to Neanderthals who died out in Europe about 30,000 years ago.

why are we here?- There is no reason we are here. We are related to all other life on the Earth and evolved from the first flat-footed bipedal primate which lived in Africa about 6, 000,000 years ago. Bipedalism freed our predecessors hands which enabled them to become skilful and adept.

how do we know what's true and what is not? - By way of free rational thought.

Why is there good/evil? - Ask the crocodiles and turtles. They have been around for over a hundred  million years and should know the story.

how do we overcome evil?- As above

how do we become happy? - Watch Napoleon Bonapartes channel on YouTube.

what happens when we die? - Nothing.

you have a channel on You Tube? cool

Napoleon Bonapartes Channel on YouTube;

http://www.youtube.com/user/pdrquay

Bonne Ecoute !

how did we get here?

Short answer: Evolution.

why are we here?

Your "why" is a question only you can answer. but on a most basic literal level, we are here to pass our genetic material on to the next generation.

how do we know what's true and what is not?

Through the use of reason and the scientific method.

Why is there good/evil?

There is no such thing as "good" or "evil" outside of human action. Most people would agree that evil is that which tends to reduce net happiness in society and good is that which tends to increase net happiness in society.

how do we overcome evil?

? The need to "overcome" evil tends to be a religious viewpoint. While there is much "evil" actions in the world, "good" far outweighs it. The idea of there being some battle of good vs. evil just doesn't exist in an Athiest worldview.

how do we become happy?

That's all up to you. what makes one person happy will not necessarily be what makes you happy.

what happens when we die?

Worm food.

And of course, although there will be some overlap, there will be as many shades of answers to these questions as there are non-believers.

im new to atheism and i had a few questions about general beliefs

how did we get here?  Define "we" and "here" please

why are we here?  No one knows

how do we know what's true and what is not?  No one knows, we can only work with the best evidence we have and make deductions from there

Why is there good/evil?  Because human beings are imperfect creatures

how do we overcome evil?  We can't.  We have to be as good as we can be, teach our children the same, and hope for the best.  "Evil" is a term usually associated with supernatural bad.  I think people can be good or bad or both.

how do we become happy?  We decide we will be.  Those who decide to choose happiness are happy.  They find ways to make that a self-fulfilling prophecy.

what happens when we die?  Our electrical energy dissipates, mostly as heat, into the air around us, and we begin the process of decay, same as everything else alive whether animal or vegetable.  This is our shot, we have to make the most of it.

Live every day to the fullest.  :-)

1.  Evolution... http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

2. see #1

3.  by observation

4. human nature and personal belief systems

5.  You don't really in the grand scheme of things

6.  That  up to the individual, what makes one person happy might make another sad, sorry but this is frankly a weak question

7.  When we die, we either are cremated or buried in western society. End game.

I have a question for Joe Burke. 

How did you arrive at the decision that you are an atheist?

Almost sounds like a project for someone's confirmation.... "find an atheist and ask them these questions...here are your talking points for when you "debate" them"

Shhhh.....don't tell anybody, but I think this post is "Poe."  My gut instinct tells me the original poster is a theist. 

That would explain some of the questions...

Although I think I'm going to reserve judgement till we hear more from Joe: he may still be wrestling with some theistic baggage and merely took the title "atheist" a bit early in his journey.

(That being said, I suspect if we were at a bar, I'd be owing you a beer by the time this is done.)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service