Right off the top, let me say that I am no great beer expert.  I HAVE been drinking more suds lately and enjoying them, but I am nowhere near as well traveled in beer as I am in single-malt whisky.  That said, I wanted to start a discussion about beer, especially since I understand it to be an OLD tradition (started with the Egyptians, so I hear) and one which I do enjoy.

Among my favorites are:

• Killian's Red
  • Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
  • Great Lakes Christmas Ale
  • Corona Extra
  • Blue Moon (avec orange!)
  • Dos Equis Amber
  • The Taddy Porter
  • Kingfisher (of India - and great to wash down a hot curry with!)
  • Flying Horse (also Indian)
  • John Courage Director's Special Bitters
  • Guinness (on tap, please!)
  • And just about ANY Sam Adams brew ... EXCEPT the Boston Lager!

Don't ask me why about that last, other than it's a bit too hoppy for my taste.  I like their dark brews.  They have a Honey Porter which is lovely and (I think) an Oatmeal Stout which, while it's no match for Guinness, has its moments.

As to more pedestrian fare, make mine Bud or Coors (the ORIGINAL, NOT Coors Light!), please.  Either work GREAT in front of a baseball or football game, especially with a dog in hand.  I should mention that the brew which bears my surname I wouldn't hit a dead dog with!

Tags: beer

Views: 266

Replies to This Discussion

We like some of the same beers. I think modern beer has been ruined by conglomerate takeovers, and my taste has went more into the craft beers. The problem here is that InBev and others are trying now to do craft beer. That seems kind of silly.

I'm trying to get ahold of some Victoria from Mexico and try that out. No luck so far, and when people tell me to go to "The Mexican Store" I'm having trouble finding that place too.  LOL

I was surprised recently to discover how good Sam Adams Black Lager can be. As for other brews of other countries I buy Tusker, a Kenyan lager, from the World Food Market in St. Louis. They don't have everything, but there is a fairly good selection.

Talk beer and it's hard to shut me up. Today I bought some Lemp beer which was originally made in St. Louis , Mo. by the Lemp brewery. Said to be "america's first lager beer" it's refreshing and tasty with a strong taste of Cascade hops. (A similar beer by Miller/Molson/Coors is Batch 19.) Lemp standard lager was a staple in St. Louis before my time, but Adam Lemp's relatives made beer in St. Louis as well. Griesedieck Brothers beer was very popular here way before Budweiser. Joe Griesedieck headed up Falstaff brewing company and I drank that beer in the early 1970's. Some of my beer tastes may be a carry over from hearing TV commercials as a child.

Recently a family member of the Griesedieck dynasty has tried to bring back Griesedieck Brothers beer. I've found 2 kinds here and tried the lager beer. About 2 or 3 sips and I said "hello Falstaff."

When it comes to beer, I enjoy Blue Moon and Corona Extra as well.  The Sam Adams beers are equally good.  In addition, I've always liked Beck's, Heineken and Stella Artrois.  I've never had the pleasure of drinking Guinness from the source, but I've always enjoyed the bottle version. 

In college I used to purchase Hamm's in bottles by the case.  Of course, during that time of my life I was also taking swigs out of a bottle of Old Grand Dad Whiskey.  (Yikes!)  

Carl, you and my husband like all the same beers, except Corona.  He even has a Stella Artois "chalice" that I won online for him that he drinks it out of, lol.

Loren might have said it already, but I got this from somebody. The real secret of Guinness beer is to get it on tap as a draught. This is why the local beer is so much better because it is not pasturized. Any of it that we get here is pasterized, so Guinness in Ireland would be a real treat.

I did say so briefly above, Michael, and Pat was good enough to expand on just WHY Guinness is so different there vs. here.

Still, I find Guinness palatable enough on this side of the puddle, though when I've had it in Limerick or Derry ... HOOBOY!

One beer I forgot to add to my list. From Montana. Moose Drool

Fun fact:  During Prohibition, Punxsutawney Phil threatened that, if he was not allowed to drink, there would be 60 weeks of winter.

Good on him!  Let's keep in mind who was, at least in part, behind Prohibition in the first place: The Women's CHRISTIAN Temperance Union!

Yes, from what I've seen and read, religious people were the prime factors that caused Prohibition.  And Prohibition caused a lot more trouble than it eliminated.

All you got to do is watch HBO's Boardwalk Empire to know that. Yeah, it's partly fictionalized, but there's enough of the real deal there to let you know what went down.

Almost forgot - Carte Blanche used to make a dark, but I haven't seen in in a long time, and for that matter, haven't seen Carte Blanche at all lately.  Tried Negro Modelo once, didn't care for it.

Can't help but notice I didn't mention any German beers, either.  Gad, what am I thinking!

• Lowenbrau
  • Becks (light and dark)
  • Henninger Dark (if you can find it!)

There's also the matter of Grolsch (a wonderful dutch beer) and Chimay, from Belgium.  If I think of anything else, I'll follow up.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service