I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 16578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm from Somerset KY. Right in the middle of the Bible belt, where there are at least 3 christian churches in every square mile and probably over 100 in the county. And I know a whole 3 atheists; only 1 I'm not related to.

Welcome. Morgan.

My dad grew up in Newport and was working in Cincinnati when he and my mom met. I remember his mentioning Somerset. He and my mom often drove to Lexington on fishing weekends.

I was in California's SF Bay Area when I found A/N, and am still there. Happily, the Bay Area is loaded with freethinkers of all kinds.

Just returned home to Michigan (Detroit area), from traveling the states for several years.

Forced into catholicism while growing up in Ferguson. (a few weeks ago nobody would have known where Ferguson was!) Most of my family members are still trying to save my soul, even though when we discuss religion most of them agree with most of my points and admit that they really don't believe a lot of the stuff in the bible and things taught in their religion.

Seattle, Washington. There are lots of atheists and geeks, and it was a great place for my late wife and me to have raised our biracial child. 

I need to move to the NW coast! Haha

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. Land of extreme poverty, DWI, drugs and violent crime. Oh, and gratuitous amounts of both conservative and 'new age' religious zealots. I really need outta here.

One of the worst places in the US, I say... But thankfully there are online communities to find awesome folks! Talking keeps me sane! I will say that NM has made me a much hardier person than I would have been otherwise, perhaps.

Hope all is well in Toronto! And with everyone else here!

You forgot to mention a police force that makes the ones in Ferguson look like teddy bears.

New Mexico is (one place) where the police department does anal rape, in the form of forced drug searches. 

"The police department"? It wasn't NM State Police, or any of the major towns. But that was a small town in SW New Mexico, yes. This goes on in prisons/corrections facilities all over the country. The news here just has nothing better to report on lol

Was a bad case though, and our prison system here (not police, corrections are private agencies or state-run but separate from local agencies, generally).

I work for a Sheriff's department out here... It's a common joke that most of the other agencies here are just as bad if not worse than the people we go after....

"New Mexico" to a T. What a lovely place... Our small town cops are corrupt, our prison guards are absolute morons and I can testify to that.....

No joke... I had to read a report once that read (I kid you not)

"Prisoner was in cel [sic] #- - -, sargent [sic] responded and cald [sic] me to the cell then need to was chemical agent."

The people they hire for corrections here are.... special.

I worked for them, thank you. 

I won't bother correcting you, I've given up on trying to talk to anyone about police work. But I've gone through APD's training, and it was beaten into our heads that we could only use firearms as a last resort, and we were given LTL tools to utilize. But knives and guns can't be met with tasers, unlike what hollywood likes to try to portray.

Everyone also conveniently forgets that last October, we had a guy go on a rampage here with an AK-47, just this last week a man shot 4 women dead, we've had 7+ armed robberies at gunpoint in the last 4 days alone, and our auto theft rate is super high. But nobody cares about what psychos do, they care about cops.

I will admit I'm happy to be out of there... Even before all the controversy, I decided I didn't fit in. And now that the whole nation feels they know what's going on there, I'm even more glad that I left. The new chief is nice though, Schultz was a jerk.... He was a jerk to me personally, too.

And this is a site about non-theism, not a mass media ethics debate on police work.

this is a site about non-theism, not a mass media ethics debate on police work.

It's a site for non-theists.  We talk about whatever we want to talk about.  The victims in these rape-by-law-enforcement cases were people stopped by the police when driving, not prisoners.  Prisoners are often treated badly, yes. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service