I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 13857

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm from Toronto. Many of my friends in Toronto are also Atheists. Welcome!

I live just east of Texarkana, Arkansas.  Backwards state. No sense of community here!

LOWELL!!! WHOO!!!!

Welcome back to Napa County, Fahad. I'll be a few miles north of you, in Y'ville.

Please do bring your head with you.

Yes, do be careful, Fahad!  What a change- Islamabad to S.F.!  I moved from S.F. to Tampa, FL.  Not quite Pakistan, but very unfriendly to atheists!

Dogly, did our trails cross?

I left the T.B. (not tb) Area (St. Pete) in 1963 and via Daytona Beach, Houston, Austin, and Phoenix reached the S.F. Bay Area in 1976. It's very friendly to atheists!

It seems we did!  I moved from Boston (Cambridge) in 1968, to Paris, from Paris to N.Y. City in 1970, from N.Y. to Boston in 1971, from Boston to Puerto Rico in 1972, from P.R. to San Francisco in 1974, where I lived most happily for 17 great years!  My sister got cancer in 1988 so I sold my beloved dog grooming business and moved to Tampa to care for her.  I was never an activist about separation of church and state until I moved to this god ridden backwoods.  I used to think we ALREADY had freedom of religion in this country until I moved here!  Too bad we never met in S.F.,  I know a great place for burritos on Mission St!

Dogly, I ate many burritos in the Inner Mission; we might have seen each other.

The quake that broke up the ball game (1988?) broke a lot of store windows along Mission Street. I was in the basement of a building on 16th Street near Mission and looked up to see if the building was coming down on me. It didn't.

I had recently left S.F. when the quake hit.  Many friends were unlucky. Before leaving, my home was in Glen Park. It is built on a rocky hill and was invulnerable to all but a giant quake.  How I miss the culture, food, gay people, and the fascination people from all over the world, the beauty of the city itself, Muir Woods, the liberal, progressive, attitude of the place! 

Please be careful, Fahad. Don't do anything to get yourself in trouble in the time you have left there.

Oooo!  Watch out for your head Fahad.

I used to live in Napa.

Hello Fahad Ahmad. As someone who has experienced the abuses that occur when religion and government are combined, you are in an excellent position to explain it to others. Here in Canada, a moderate muslim MP, Fatima Houda-Pepin  has broken ranks with the Liberal Party in Quebec over the PQ's attempt to introduce a Secular Charter of Rights that would establish more robust barriers between the state and religion.

The PQ are being pummelled by the other parties as being racist and intolerant and want to allow people to wear fundamentalist symbols when working as public employees. It is people like you and Fatima, who have experienced the abuses when fundamentalists enjoy too much tolerance, that can explain the need for a democratic government to balance this tolerance with a duty to protect its citizens from fundamentalism.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service