I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 16530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joan, you're right; the recent campaign for the Presidency told us we are not immune.

Xian Reconstructionists (America's Taliban and once headquartered near where I now live) want to replace the Constitution with the Old Testament. They would execute adulterers, difficult children and more.

Despite the hundreds of millions of dollars their wealthy allies (all of them capitalists who, as Elizabeth Warren brilliantly said, used what taxpayers provided them to get rich ) poured into the campaign, America's voters sent them packing. For now.

Tom, we should use the words American Taliban for those who would impose their value systems on all of us. Even better than that, we can enjoy all the great gifts that come to us from nature and that enrich our lives in so many ways. We can celebrate with full enthusiasm the coming Winter Solstice, knowing that the daylight will remain short for three days and then the sun will start its northern journey, bringing more sunlight each and every day until Summer Solstice.

Have you noticed the new songs coming out that celebrate the seasonal changes?

http://www.atheistmemebase.com/

Or the growing awareness of the reasons for the seasons? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-DYgGFjI

We have many interesting, challenging, stimulating reasons to celebrate than those brought to us by Bronze Age tribal dessert people. 

I work in a museum and we have a section about local witch hunts. The tortures described include torturing the children of the accused in front of them in order to extract a confession. Our area was particularly bad. Once witch hunting was banned the Lowland Clearances took over. Local landlords hiked up rents or refused to renew leases. This created a poor, rural workforce that could be relocated into the urban areas to provide cheap labour for the new factories of the industrial revoltion. The landlords get the land back and get profits from their investments in the factories. Funnily enough you don't find many of these landlords claming to be atheists. Their "god" has been so good to them!

Cheryl Easton, in what part of the world do you live? You probably have a memory of witch hunts that most of us do not.
I became interested because my ancestors arrived on the east coast at Plymouth, Mass in 1632 and spread south and west until a terrible depression forced them out of the east in 1890's and they came west to make their livings. I traced that migration and found my ancesters were at Salem, Mass during the Salem Witch Trials, that they were among the accusers, judges, trial members and benefactors by taking over the land of those who were found guilty and hung or pressed to death. Much of our family wealth came from those stolen pieces of land and businesses. 

When we read history in school, we don't learn about this aspect of earlier colonial days. We also don't learn of the terrible things people did to each other. My ancestors cut off the noses and ears of Quakers because they refused to become Puritans.

"The Puritans in New England were equally zealous in persecuting dissenters. Those who taught deviant doctrines were mutilated (such as having their ears chopped off) or hanged. Catholics and Quakers were also severely persecuted by the Puritans in New England. Thus, at least four Quakers were hanged by the Puritans for their beliefs. The Puritans were also responsible for the execution of twenty people for witchcraft in Salem, Massachusetts.

So much for Pascal's Wager 

Persecution by Protestants

Haught, Holy Horrors: p109-111

Haught, Holy Horrors: p117-124

Knight, Humanist Anthology: p113-114

Robertson, History of Christianity: p206-207

Dumfries and Galloway, South West Sotland. This link gives a bit of information about the Witch trials http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/7706/1/Lizanne3pdf When a woman (usually a woman) was found guilty of witchcraft her possessions were forfeit to the church or crown. I beleive there is a move afoot to have these convictions overturned and, where possible, to have reparations made to any living descendants. Can't imagine the Westminster government allowing that - although a Scottish government might.

Nominally from Virginia Beach, VA; currently in Dubai, UAE. Relatively new member to the site -- isolated atheist no more!

Hey bud, no, u r no longer isolated. Welcome on here.

On my part, i'm kinda sad that i'm not seeing more people from my country here. I hope that changes soon. There are so  so many closet atheists. Personally, i am somewhere in between but i realize this is a safe space. I wish they would too.

Maybe i'll have better luck looking in at www.atheistcensus.com . So excited about that!

Was New York, now Maryland.  Never really had a problem with being an atheist in either location, or in St. Louis, when I went to college there.

That's funny.  I grew up in Maryland, now I'm in Western NY state.

Atheist Census’ back online after hacker attack

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 05:40 AM PST

Atheist Alliance International reports that its Atheist Census, an attempt to count the world’s atheists, is now back online after hackers took it down more than a week ago.

“It seems that there are people who do not want atheists to be counted, who do not want to accept that as more people question and think critically about religion atheists are a growing demographic. It is a measure of the project’s success – even at this early stage – that some people wanted to shut it down,” Carlos Diaz, the organization’s president, said in a prepared statement.

The group launched the census on Dec. 7 and it fell to a Denial of Service attack about 17 hours later. At the time that the census site was attacked, about 8,800 people had completed the survey, with another 2,300 pending.

Participation in the Atheist Census is free. Since the return of the site, about 20,000 total people have submitted their information to the effort, which is attempting to collect demographic information about atheists throughout the world, including their education levels, age, gender identity and country.

The Atheist Census can be found at http://www.atheistcensus.com/

Atheist Census’ back online after hacker attack

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 05:40 AM PST

Atheist Alliance International reports that its Atheist Census, an attempt to count the world’s atheists, is now back online after hackers took it down more than a week ago.

“It seems that there are people who do not want atheists to be counted, who do not want to accept that as more people question and think critically about religion atheists are a growing demographic. It is a measure of the project’s success – even at this early stage – that some people wanted to shut it down,” Carlos Diaz, the organization’s president, said in a prepared statement.

The group launched the census on Dec. 7 and it fell to a Denial of Service attack about 17 hours later. At the time that the census site was attacked, about 8,800 people had completed the survey, with another 2,300 pending.

Participation in the Atheist Census is free. Since the return of the site, about 20,000 total people have submitted their information to the effort, which is attempting to collect demographic information about atheists throughout the world, including their education levels, age, gender identity and country.

The Atheist Census can be found at http://www.atheistcensus.com/

Hey, Alex. I don't know about a Reason Rally but there's this: http://atheists.org/convention2013

My daughter and I are dying to go but no matter how I look at it, I simply can't afford it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service