I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 16557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I meant more in the context that it was brought up when Albuquerque was brought up... And that was not Abq police. And congrats, you discovered the 1st amendment. I got defensive, I got over it. I'm just tired of everyone throwing our guys under the bus... It's just like the military, 1 guy screws up, nobody says "Marine Sergeant Joe Smith committed a crime...." its "A US MARINE committed a crime". People don't berate Sgt. Joe Smith, they berate every Marine they see.

In essence, the guy who was peeling potatoes in NY for the duration of a war gets the same blame as the guys who did bad things overseas. It's not fair, its tiring, and it makes people snappy and defensive. So I apologize, because I obviously offended you by defending my position.

Small-town cops in NM are corrupt, terribly corrupt... I'm actually surprised the media hasn't gone nuts about places like Pietown or Espanola.

Pietown's a real town, by the way.... this state is weird in every way imaginable.

One reason people make the distinction that it was a cop or soldier who committed a crime of violence, is that these people were hired to protect us from violence.  The fact that they are armed to the teeth with weapons our taxes paid for adds to the irony being pointed out when their membership in the police force or military is brought up. To those who say there are no good cops anymore, I say, yes there is, I met him!  (just a joke, Cory.)

Though, I must admit I'm very happy to be out of there... I'll be even happier to be out of this cursed state lol

Well here in Australia I'm surrounded by Atheists, but nobody interested in flying the flag for Atheism.

Maybe because when a community becomes completely secular, Atheists disappear.

So since there is almost nobody pushing Theism onto our community, Atheists just go about doing their daily chores without a thought for Atheists elsewhere in the world doing it tough in religious communities.

I am the only one in my community that gives a damn, maybe because I studied theology and keep in touch with countries where Atheists are still considered lowly scum and heretics.

As I started fighting Theistic nonsense and Young Earth Creationists many years ago, when we were inundated with the nutjobs, even though they have gone completely from my region, I still know that they are elsewhere trying to get back in vogue, so I still attack them when I can, I guess I found it fun to demoralize them and I miss that, since they disappeared.  I guess that makes me an Atheist Troll, well so be it, trolling against Theists and Young Earth Creationists can be Fun!

I was discussing this situation with another non-theist friend the other day, and he said, talking bout Australia and other more secular places, "I would love to live in a godless society".

I reminded him that we all live in a godless society, it is just that most people don't know it.

I can think of few people who more richly deserve being trolled, and it can be fun.

I agree!

I never bothered to profess my atheism when I lived in Boston, N.Y. San Francisco, Paris, or Puerto Rico.  No one pushed their religion on me, nor did they try to pass biblical sharia laws to control me.  But when I moved to Florida I saw the need to defend the 1st amendment right to freedom of (and therefore, from) religion.  In this crazy state, County officials in Polk County formed a christian group called Polk Under Prayer, and proclaimed that the county was christian.  They then, in a religious ceremonial rite, poured holy oil across all roads entering the county, and prayed for god's angels to look in each car and to either prevent non-christians from entering , or promised the cops would arrest them.  Several days later, the most prominent atheist was arrested and held in solitary confinement for a week without her MS medication.  WE must stand up to crazy religious bullies whether in Saudi Arabia, or Florida USA!

No one pushed his/her religion on me as the NYorkers did. I was in Alabama, Tennessee  and in other states as religious  as these two...but in NY is where I felt the fanaticism of the believers.

Dogly, that's some pretty bizzare actions for christian fundies but why is it that I''m not at all surprised? This is the kind of crap we have to keep fighting against.

"trolling against Theists and Young Earth Creationists can be Fun!".

I would say standing up against those who would teach myths to people, young and old, claiming to be telling the reality, is a noble endeavor.  

A/N probably will not get any other members from these regions as nobody here can see a reason to even call themselves Atheists, let alone join an Atheist movement or website.

There is no incentive for Atheists in secular communities to even think of themselves as Atheists.

It's like nobody here hassles atheists so there is no call to arms, we are just like everybody else here, so why consider ourselves different and join a website that labels us as different, to the others around us.

So the distinction between Atheist and Theist here is blurred.  

Nobody really makes that distinction when in an almost fully secular society.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service