I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 15497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dogly, that's some pretty bizzare actions for christian fundies but why is it that I''m not at all surprised? This is the kind of crap we have to keep fighting against.

"trolling against Theists and Young Earth Creationists can be Fun!".

I would say standing up against those who would teach myths to people, young and old, claiming to be telling the reality, is a noble endeavor.  

A/N probably will not get any other members from these regions as nobody here can see a reason to even call themselves Atheists, let alone join an Atheist movement or website.

There is no incentive for Atheists in secular communities to even think of themselves as Atheists.

It's like nobody here hassles atheists so there is no call to arms, we are just like everybody else here, so why consider ourselves different and join a website that labels us as different, to the others around us.

So the distinction between Atheist and Theist here is blurred.  

Nobody really makes that distinction when in an almost fully secular society.

I was working at a university as a lab tech, to help fund my studies when these weird people started getting friendly as they would sit with me in the cafeteria, and one of them I knew from playing squash, which I was coaching.  Then they started trying to convert me to young earth creationism and insisted that I include some of their literature in my school presentations that I was preparing for the lecturers.  I refused as I had to follow the curriculum and the lecturer's specifications to the letter.

This was in the late 70s and early 80s, where they tried to get the science department to include their material in lectures, but nobody would listen to them.  

I did like the lecturers and ignored them, though suddenly they would be turning up to my squash matches and coaching, arguing with and heckling me from the gallery.

They thought I was the weak link in the university.

Though I did some research on them and then attacked them head on.

To which they ceased to annoy me, but that didn't stop me from going after them and attacking their street preachers, to the amusement of onlookers.  

A few times I would be attacking them and they would be foaming at the mouth and spitting as they yelled at me, and every time I put them and their beliefs down, it was met with a cheer and clapping from onlookers. 

One day they were setting up their little podium, saw me coming and quickly packed up and left.

That was an indication to me of my success.

That was actually the last I've seen of them in the late 80s.

They haven't been back since.

Good for you.

OK, I'll start something new. I once lived in Bastrop, Texas.  Get this.  Population 2010(Wikipedia): 7218.  Listed with a Bastrop address, total churches, 54.  (Total businesses serving alcohol, 4, after buying a membership in a "club".)

Yikes! How many of the churches were Catholic?? (Those priests usually like their booze.)

I don't know... but since an Argentinean became Pope, I (also Argent. )  am told I should become a person of faith. Why people are so de-brained?

Saint Petersburg, FL.

Eh haha

Hi, Gia. Welcome to A/N.

My folks and their five kids left Ohio in 1947 for St. Pete. I finished high school there, did a hitch in the Navy, returned and went to SPC which was SP Junior College then. I graduated UF in G'ville. I've been in the SF Bay Area since 1976. Unlike your hurricanes, our earthquakes like the one afew mornings ago, come without warnings. I liked hurricane parties.

Enjoy A/N and other stuff too.

I was born and raised in Brockton,Ma, after college  I moved  to Maryland and lived there  6 years, then moved  to Northern Va where  I have  remained  to this day....I also  spend 2 months  every winter in Tampa, Fl, as a snowbird, since  I am now retired...

Ybor City used to be the place to go for Hispanic food. Is it still?

I called St. Pete a hometown 1947-1963.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service