I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 16208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Born in Buenos Aires and I live in New York.

Hi, Silvia. Welcome to AN.

I'm curious about the play Evita. I understand that some of the history it tells is suspect but I like the music. How do today's Argentinians see it?

Hi Tom,

As you said...the music is great and the history has a lot of mistakes.

Immigrated to French Polynesia, and live on the isle of Raiatea,  I fight monthly with the ignorant and superstitious Xtians here.   We have probably every idiot religion that rears its ugly head in the US due to your missionaries.

I'm in an oven, wait, no, forgive me, I'm old, I keep confusing being in Phoenix Az with baking. Oh, and Ken, you have our sympathy regarding the missionaries, I understand completely...unfortunately it's a planet wide problem.

Robert, welcome to AN.

I baked during eight Phoenix summers and spent many weekend days (waiting for October) on an inner tube floating down the Salt River east of Scottsdale. Finally, before the downtown smog turned the air yellow, I moved to California. 

Again, welcome.

I am in Elizabethtown, Kentucky.  Very lonely town for an atheist.  When I say I am an atheist around here I am shunned as if I had a communicable disease.  A few of my daughter's generation are a bit more enlightened though.  They don;t really know what an atheist is, but are willing to at least hear me out when I tell them what I believe.

Teresa,

I understand.  We lived in Miles City, Montana for fifteen years.  South Eastern Montana is largely fundamentalist christian, catholic and morman, Conservatives.  During our years there we started a salon at a local book store, organized the first 4th of July parade since the 50's, gathered the few liberals we could find and made friends.  Soon we began hosting an open mic night and formed an arts co-op.  We witnessed a slow but visible renaissance.  

After two years that we are back home in Denver,  The parade goes on, the arts co-op is bringing in outside talent, the salon is dead and the book store closed.  Most important, the friendships and dialog continues.  Don't give up.  There exists, like minded people in your area. Find them and get active.  Don't give up and don't give in.

I find it less important to tell people what I believe.  People will know that you are not interested in their religion by your refusal to take part in their rituals and ceremonies.  When you witness bigotry, inequity and general ignorance (and you will), state your position, confidently, without argument and know that you have done what you can. 

that jives with what i'm hearing about children of fundies being somewhat more tolerant than their parents - suggests our message is percolating slowly down through the fundies protective strata - you are brave person - they respect that in the end

Teresa,

I live in Yonkers (less than one hour from NYC), and yesterday a lady looked at me as if I was a criminal when I said I was an Atheist; a second lady asked me which church the Atheists attend.

Whenever people talk about religion in my presence....I clearly state I am an Atheist. Trust me, the lack of knowledge about Atheism...and the rejection...is not patrimony of small towns.

Fortunatelly, young people are more open minded and they ask questions.

Im from New Delhi India and feel equally isolated, India is still deeply religious and many age old evil customs that stem from religion are still practiced here. But there is a new upper middle class youth segment that has the capacity to think beyond religion.

Holy Cow!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service