I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 14497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Tom S.  Condolences.  I live close to the heart of mormonism, but it's not nearly that bad.

Dougibert, not too much information, in fact, information that needs to get a toehold in your area of the nation. There are more atheists hiding in the closets than there are KKK steamrolling the population. One atheist, joining with other atheists can change a culture. Religious will use threats and intimidation to keep us quiet.

The strength of atheism is the abundant evidence of evolution and the ways that valuing nature can bring about a sense of purpose and meaning without the threats and promises of hell and heaven. Perceiving human beings as a part of nature instead of the master of it, brings far more happiness. 

Chatfield Minnesota, small town USA, just southeast of the Mayo clinic.

Gus I agree with your statement, 

"No, the main problem with this country is too many people who identify themselves as christians,"

People, under the influence of religious dogma, build upon a foundation of erroneous assumptions and faulty principles. Until and unless they are voted out of offices, local and national, we will continue to have our laws made by deluded people, following like sheep to the slaughter, the moneyed oligarchs. 

ABSOLUTELY!!!! to Joan Denoo.  This can be proven by looking at the anti- gay laws, the anti-imnmigration laws, the anti- science laws, anti-poor laws that these fine christian politicians push all the time.

Every day I am proud that I don't believe all that stuff any more, despite having it pushed down my thoat in years of Sunday School and church, and 5 years at a "christian" liberal arts college which required DAILY chapel attendance.

So, what "christian" liberal arts college did you go to Gus?  I also went to one of those called Judson in Elgin Illinois.  They don't like me posting anything on their Alumni facebook page any more.

Evangel College, Springfield, Missouri.

Springfield had 5 colleges:

Southwest Missouri State College (now Southwest Missouri University)

Drury College, which was some sort of innocuous christian (luthern? episcopalian?)

The Southern Baptist Bible College

The Assemblies of God Bible College, and

Evangel College, which was the liberal arts college of the Assemblies of God.

Then, on top of that, the Assembly of God business headquarters was in Springfield.

We used to joke that if there was a three-car pileup, at least two drivers would be praying.

Wow, you were surrounded.   So do christians who are praying while driving close their eyes and take their hands off the wheel, or do they know deep down in their hearts who is really in control of their car.   And on a related thought, do they have medical wrist bands that say "In case of injury or sickness, take me to church where they can all gather to pray for me to be healed."

When I was mormon, I briefly dated a mormon girl that told me if I had faith, I would not wear seat belts.  But even she wasn't crazy enough to tell me to take my hands off the wheel.

I hope you post anyway Roy.

Gus, you're dead right about the anti-laws.
Anti anything but white men . I just don't get it. Never have.
Straight white men at that.
Oddly enough I spent four years at a small, christian, liberal arts college and came out atheist too.
No chapel required though.

Gus, thought and action, based on reality, on what is, is, gives a proper foundation from which to launch a happy and fulfilling life. 

Start with what is true, real, measurable, touchable, weighable  ...  

Then think of all the options one can possibly come up with, even winning the lottery  ...  

Cross off all the impossible, improbable, undesirable options  ...  

Consider the remaining options and identify the probable, possible, and preferable  ...  

Do a cost/benefit analysis for each option  ...  

Select the preferable and develop a plan of action leading from what is to what you prefer  ...

Work the plan; if it works, continue; if it doesn't work, try plan B; then plan C; etc. ... 

It is important to be focused as you work the plans, be persistent and flexible  ...  

Continue until you get what you want out of life. 

You may change your mind about what you want, and so be flexible; you may change your mind about how you get to your goal, so be flexible; you may have to work for what you want out of life, so be persistent. So the rule is to be absolutely persistent/flexible.  

This is an oversimplification of process thinking, but it is the only way I know of to get a meaningful, purposeful, self-directed life. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service