I just wanted to see how many different kinds of people we got going on this site :D

Just give a holler and let everyone know what area you represent!

I'm from Brampton, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say Toronto! WOO!

Views: 15543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cleveland, Ohio. Beer-belly above the religion belt....

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Home of Aussie Rules football and the Carlton Football Club!

A great place to live, where one can be openly atheist without any recriminations, sneers, put downs, or the like, quite simply because most people simply don't give a phuq!

True, though my experience is that melbourne is mostly agnostics and extreme moderates who simply can't even be bothered with their own religion, many call themselves Christians, Muslims but don't even bother to follow their religions doctrines.

It's the deeply religious who are often jeered and mocked, especially during the Melbourne Comedy Festival, where religion is constantly targeted, since most of comedians who rock up are atheists.  They really kick the hell out of religion during the festival and Melbournians love it.  The can't get enough of people kicking religion in the guts.

Even TV programs based in Melbourne attack religious views regularly.

A city with Melbourne's attitude wouldn't be tolerated very well in the USA, though Canada would welcome it as it does welcome Melbourne's very atheist comedians.

Here's a mate's version of the "Lord's Prayer"

Attachments:

Sounds wonderful! I have long wanted to visit Australia, and perhaps retire there, for many reasons but you have just given me the best reason yet.

I have had Australia on my mind for many years. I am retired and an interested in a apartment or a condo.My concern is the cost and cost off living .If you can give me an indication of this matter I would appreciate your input.

Forgot to mention...HUGE Tim Minchin fan! For those of you that haven't heard of him, look for him on YouTube. You wont regret it.

Wapello, Iowa. Represent! Where the only billboard in 10 miles states "JESUS", facepalm.

posted this in the wrong place and now how do I delete it?

I live in Broadwater, Nebraska, a village of 128 people in the Panhandle sixty miles from a town over 1,500. My wife Beth Kz and I moved here last year from Oklahoma. I am originally from Michigan.

On November 5, the village government has its monthly meeting. At the September meeting, a board member resigned his post for health reasons, and passed away October 2. At the October meeting, the chairman asked for persons to submit their candidacy for consideration for appointment to fill the seat until the next election, amongst others, I applied.

The chairman has privately told me that of the candidates, I am the least controversial in the village (despite being an out atheist in a decidedly religious area). His presumption is that since Beth and I have made no enemies, work constantly as volunteers in community life, and other things, that the board will accept his nomination of me to the vacant seat.

An open atheist in Nebraska government? Stay tuned. . . .

Hi Carrot Hare. I was raised in Kailua, O'ahu, Hawaii.

Reminder: Though the end of the world is probably not nigh, CFI-Canada's Eschaton2012 Conference is fast approaching. Unlike some of the larger conferences, this small-scale event will provide many opportunities for interactions with guest speakers, who will be attending the social events, and many of the sessions.

For those who don't know where Ottawa is, here are a few examples of driving distances: Toronto-5h; Buffalo-6h; NYC-8h; Boston-7h; Syracuse-4h; Halifax-15h; Detroit 10h

A few discount tickets are still available - see eschaton2012.ca for more information.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service