Atheists a Suicide Risk According to US Military

In a training and command order issued by the US Marine Corps, several risk factors were identified as likely to lead to loss of life or diminished functioning.  And guess what. "Lack or loss of spiritual faith" is listed as one of those factors, along with mental health issues, prior suicide attempts, and legal problems, to name but a few.

Fortunately, the Military Religious Freedom Foundation plans on suing the Marine Corps in what is an obvious violation of the First Amendment. Apparently, if you don't 'loves you some jesus' you are considered a threat to the integrity of the fighting unit you are assigned to.  And, in the document listing this nonsense, it states that this was one of several "scientifically" determined risk factors. I suspect the science came from the local alchemist, astrologer, or necromancer. 

Article here

And, for the actual training and command order, go here. The "Guidance and Moral Compass Issues" start on page 13..

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fair enough -- I'd be okay with it if they just changed that to be "Loss of faith" but not "lack of faith", as long as there are plenty of other things on that list.  I mean, if you just now mentally dislodged a lifelong religion, then yeah, you might be distracted and drive a truck off the road...  But you're no more of a risk than some guy who just got dumped by his girlfriend or lost a close family member.  Soldiers commit suicide because they're just people, and people of all kinds, soldiers or not, sometimes commit suicide.

I could believe the suicide rate among Atheist might be higher and it might be because they are treated like dirt by their xtian "comrades" and commanders.  It is, I believe, the asshole xtian mindset that causes suicide among Atheist not some lack of faith in a 3000 -5000 year old myth.

I could see a new Atheist who is not so strong thinking about Suicide.  I can see exclusion pushing them to consider.  I was an outspoken TB Xtian in the 1990's while on active duty military.  I was picked on by most everyone as I was seen as weak or gay for not oogling at women. 3 years out active duty, I transformed into Atheist. I later joined the reserves.  I got same shit for being atheist by the same moderate xtians.  Its something I never understood.  Why do moderates attack religious nuts and atheists?    I changed units and the nut jobs and moderates are very few.  As I have learned, every christian is different in belief.  Reason why i dont believe a christian exists.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service