"Spirituality often involves looking inward. But it can generate a feeling of connectedness in more ways than you might have imagined. A study in September found that women who rank high on a test for spirituality, particularly connectedness, are more likely to have more sex with more partners. Men who thought of themselves as spiritual were not similarly promiscuous, however."

This comes from Live Science. It looks like you atheist girls are not getting pronged as often as your religious sisters. Life ain't fair!!

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Touche!
I have heard that Ms. O'Hair was rather blunt, and at times, possibly even a pill. Unfortunately, I will never get a chance to come to my own conclusions. That's the problem with dead people... a maddening refusal to converse.
"That's the problem with dead people... a maddening refusal to converse."

Yeah but Grundgetta, you'll get to talk to them in HEAVEN!! (Snicker, snort!!)
In the early mid-60s I was taking heat beyond the point of being a pariah in jr. high for my vocal stand about not saying "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance because I was an atheist since age 12. When Madalyn Murry forced prayer out of schools she automatically became my hero. She was an Ugh!, but I was hot for Mary Jane - the girl, that is. Had nothing to do with any belief system. Years later that was consummated. MJ, not MM. Back to the point, we all owe MM a debt. Doesn't really answer my question.
Point well taken.
Note that "spirituality" and atheism are not incompatible as your title suggests. Also note that the study doesn't suggest, as far as I know based on your tiny quote, that spiritual women are having more sex with more partners because they are more desirable as opposed to because they enjoy doing so.

Statistics can be used to make any case you wish to make. Beware.
It's not "my" title and it's not "my" quote. I just posted it because it looked interesting and quite frankly I don't really think its worth taking seriously. Some things are just posted for the fun of it.
That concept of spirituality needs a bit of discussion. I maintain that what we call spirituality is not the sole (I could pun but I'll restrain myself) domain of the religious. The so-called 'god module' is a consequence of evolutionary trends towards conceptualization of past, present, and future crossed with tool making and the ability to ask "Why?" and "What if?". More or less. Probably more. I have always derived my 'spirituality' from literature, art, wonder of the infinite and the unknown, and sex and love. Yes. I worship at the alter of knowledge. For me spirituality is the capacity to be human. The Live Science study, IMHO and sight unseen, is invalid in that it certainly equates both erroneously and narrow-mindedly spirituality with religious belief. Perhaps there was a bit of political correctness in the choice of terminology: spirituality v. religious belief. Don't believe everything you read. I read that somewhere.
A number of studies, for example the one done by Richard Lynn, link atheism to higher than average IQ. My social observations indicate that women don’t like to date men that they find less intelligent than themselves. Perhaps atheist women do have a smaller pool of potential partners. That would explain religious men getting laid less too.
If the findings of this study are indeed correct then it is indeed a major concern. One can only feel a burden of responsibility to assist this injustice.

As such, if there are any UK lady atheists who currently find themselves struggling to cope with this self imposed isolation, can I just say..

Hello... ;)
Golly Max, you're just a big hearted kind of guy, aren't you?!!
Solidarity, brother. Solidarity. When duty calls.....

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
12 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
16 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
31 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Alan's discussion The reason why the United States has such a higher rate of religion compared to the UK
35 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
36 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Teh Stoopid...it's killing me!!
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service