I've been thinking about getting an Atheist tattoo and my wife is worried about possible hate crimes.  Anyone ever heard of something like that?  I love in Indiana and as anywhere in this country there are some strong willed Christians.  I'm hoping someone has some feedback on how it might effect how other parents treat me and my kids, work environment if others see it, etc.

Tags: tattoo

Views: 1012

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm too young for tattoos, but I wouldn't do it. Imagine how squiggly the A would be when you're 80! It'd look like a 3 year old scribbled it on your arm. That aside, it'd probably be better to be cautious. Fundies can get pretty crazy out there.
Well, if they identify it as an Atheist mark, they will probably treat you differently if they didn't already know you were Atheist. Probably in no way that they wouldn't treat you already if you just TOLD them, so it's not the tattoo itself. I'd really like a scarlet A tattoo, but somewhere very inconspicuous that nobody will see unless I make a point to show them. :)
I am considering the same thing and may detail myself with the "Happy Human" symbol. It is the less... "militant"... of the atheist symbols and I am a huge follower of the humanist philosophy. I guess you have to consider how well you will take an inflammatory reaction and (like any tattoo) is this something you will want to carry with you for the rest of your life. I think if you are well-prepared to address any confrontation then by all means go for it.
I have been trying to work up the courage to get a "Happy Human" tattoo...too.  lol  I just can't decide where to put it. Besides that, I don't like needles and pain. :)
Do you have tattoos already or is this your first?  I'm in the same situation.  I want to have an Atheist tattoo as well.  I wonder if most people would even know what the "A" means.  I'm sure I'd get more questions, than hate spewed at me.  Still on the fence here.  Good luck in deciding.  :)

I would be nervous about having one but I have been an atheist for many years and just recently realized we even have a symbol. I am sure you will be okay against hate crimes because not many will even know its meanings. Congratulations on wanting to stand up to who you are.  

I just got a happy human tattoo yesterday. I live in a very religious little town in south georgia

Nice.  Do religious folk even know what it is? 

Shoulder blade or Calf - easily covered & easily accessible.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
8 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
39 minutes ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
43 minutes ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
47 minutes ago
51 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
58 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
David Seidman replied to Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
1 hour ago
David Seidman replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Men not empathic partners in the group Feminist Atheists
1 hour ago
David Seidman replied to Rasheeda Nizam's discussion Religious Diversity
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service