Call me old fashioned but I'm a dinner and movie kinda guy. Well this weekend marks the opening of a film based on the best-selling novel by author, philosopher and noted atheist Ayn Rand. The film (and novel) is called Atlas Shrugged. Rand was a polarizing figure of the twentieth century partly because of her unapologetic atheism, but more so because of the philosophy she introduce to the world called "Objectivism".

Objectivism extols the virtues of self-interest, individualism, unbridled free-market capitalism, limited government and the promotion of objective reality and reason. It opposes the notion of altruism, charity and government-regulated social equality. Some of Rand's most notable followers include former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, US Congressman (and 2008 presidential candidate) Ron Paul, and US Supreme Court Justice Clarance Thomas.

My questions are:

1. How many will be going to see this film?

2. Will you be taking someone from Atheist Singles?

3. What are your thoughts on Ayn Rand, her "Objectivism" philosophy and her politics?

SEE LINKS BELOW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-LpRSbbeA

http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/?gclid=CJDL77zhnqgCFaxk7AodEX9oHw

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not quite as much now but initialy after being introduced to Ayn Rand I was quite influenced by her- how she emphasises the importence of being resposible for ones actions and ideas, I guess. That is a lame job on my part of explaining her. It has been a long time.

I have read four things by her. She was a major influence on my becoming a nontheist. Politicaly I became a libertarian not long after reading some of her works and I have been my entire adult life.

I would like to see the movie, tho Idk that it is playing in N.O., and my wife is not that big a fan.

I have never gotten the impression that she is particularly popular with many people at this site, so thanx for bringing her up.
OK so as we move into Friday night and begin the weekend in earnest, I wanted to give a quick update in the interest of thoroughness. It appears that the movie will open on relatively few screens (about 200 nationwide). And the early reviews have been kind of brutal. The common complaints about the movie are that it lacks star power, it doesn't take time to develop characters, and the film's small budget has resulted in a rushed effort that doesn't allow for many of the novel's nuanced sub-plots and character back-stories to be explored. I'm thinking about going to see The Conspirator instead.
Like you I was intrigued by Ayn Rand's philosophy of "Objectivism" when, as a young man in the newly fired forges of early personhood, I was casting about for a conspicuous identity. But I soon left the right wing behind deftly as I discovered the broader, more encompassing sweep of progressive thought. In retrospect, now that I am older and cranky with candor, it appears that Ayn's personal life was filled with headstrong contradictions and the disappointment of failed social experiments. So for all her vainglorious self-reliant bravado, she might've lived a sweeter life allowing for the occasional kindnesses of strangers.
I look forward to seeing the film as much as I did The Fountainhead but more as a film experience than a vindication of her ideas. These have already found a home in the dustbin of flawed philosophies.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service