Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 3809

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here in NH guns are a way of life.  That's what the state motto (:live froo or die") really means - don't try to take away my guns. 

The problem with gun control is that criminals don't obey laws. And while the argument that the founding fathers couldn't have foreseen today's modern weapons is a good one, we still have to deal with the fact that these weapons exist and can be obtained illegally whenever someone really wants one. I think Atheists, the voice of reason, should instead advocate gun education. Using the weapons responsibly from an early age can teach a respect for handling weapons and ending accidental child deaths.

I've taken a gun safety class which covered gun laws and taking the test to purchase a gun. I found them quite informative and they are taught by law enforcement. 

I also would like to point out, it's better to have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it. In a life and death situation, you'll be glad you have access to one rather than sitting in a locked bedroom waiting for the police to arrive. 

Roxanne:

A man I once worked with told me the most sensible words I've ever heard on guns.

He did not allow his children to play with toy guns, but early on and with real guns he taught them gun safety.

Toy guns... or FPS video games I'd add. There is money invested by military in FPS games, this is the way future wars will be waged, by kids with FPS screens, completely desensitised to their victims. Soon guns won't even be relevant to wars, as our weapons are becoming nano-sized.

For the 2nd amendment to keep it's relevance in society, we would need the citizenry not only to be more educated about guns... but the entire citizenry needs to be more educated about computer systems, nanotechnology and robotisation, because those are the weapons that our governments will use to subdue the citizenry, not guns. Guns are almost toys of the past. We need to move beyond that.

I am a member of the San Diego gun Builder's Guild.  We specialize in flintlock weapons.  Very ancient design but effective in the right hands.  It's likely never that you will ever hear of an incident involving one.  We are a history based group.  Keeping traditional skills alive.  I guess the point is, that total gun control also effects us.  Make sure you see the big picture bore making rash decisions based on incidents created by the nut cases that will have weapons meant as anti-personnel, that will obtain them from illegal means no matter what.  OK, so an ancient flinter isn't your weapon of choice, but the first in line at my door catches a musket ball between the eyes.  Remember what our founding fathers had to say.  If you are an American, natural born or not, If you have'nt read "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine, you're missing a big part of where we came from.

"i have a ctc cwp.. there'd be less dead in that movie theater in CO..."-Ventura

education is key
keep up w/the kids though in teenage years huge.
once the respect is found guns are ok w/me..
again, education is key. school should literally have parents sign off and get kids to a range 1st w/pellet gun then 22..
I
M
H
O

2nd amendment here.. in MX u cannot own one.. so.. why are there more dead there?

Guitarzeroh, if by "MX" you mean Mexico, it is reasonable to conclude there are more dead there because many there practice a violent form of free enterprise, supplying the USofA with the drugs we consume in amounts greater than people elsewhere.

Do you have any views on why we consume so much?

What kills me is the those of 47% who truly believe President Obama is going to "prize their dead fingers from around their gun."  They are voting Republican for this reason alone when it is against their well being otherwise.  No one is going to ever take guns away from Americans.  It is too much of an ingrained tradition and no one knows this better than politicians of both parties.  Meanwhile, Romney has said he doesn't care a flip about the 47% and trickle down economics has never worked.  Romney has already said he is not going to let anything trickle down to these lazy, good for nothing freeloaders.  No matter they are working two jobs just to make ends meet.

Lillie, I posted this in the "Humor" group, but I think it is appropriate here as well.

Thanks.  Love it.  Love Bill Maher.

A Columbine incident averted in Spain.

Check out the part in bold about purchasing guns:

"The statement said the man had openly expressed his hatred for society, and particularly students. A police spokesman said there was nothing to indicate that the man had planned to carry out the attack for any set ideological reasons.

Twelve students and one teacher were killed in the Columbine attack in Colorado. The two perpetrators then killed themselves. The Spanish man’s diary indicated he had considered committing suicide once he had carried out the attack.

Spanish police said the man had tried several times to purchase guns for the university attack, but finding this impossible then opted to use bombs by buying explosive-making material on the Internet. The statement said he had planned to make shrapnel pipebombs."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service