Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 3576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hot air, there is no evidence that legislation achieves that. It's global societal historical choices that achieve different levels of overall violence. If you really cared about untimely death, you would place your focus on societal issues that have been demonstrated to reduce general rates of violence.

Not at all. It is not legislation per se that is effective, but laws combined with good enforcement. The experience of other countries with more restrictive laws is both relevant and convincing. The sources of violence are hard to root out, but limiting the means available is certainly one way that appears to be effective in reducing it.

"Reasonable."  Therein lies the problem.

Arguing that nothing can be done is more than a mistake; it's evidence of feelings of powerlessness.

BTW, feelings of powerlessness are fatal to democracy.

They are not fatal in the US of A because the US of A is not, and has never been, a democracy.

In your preferred major dictionary, look up the words "oligarchy" and "plutocracy".

The country where I came from [NZ] even the police don't carry guns. There are no mass everyday shootings.

I find it quite amusing that usa has no health care. The first time I ever saw a beggar was when I went to USA.

There is no necessity for the public to own guns.

The gun loonies quote the silly amendment, but forget the " A well regulated Militia" part.

America represents the worst of western culture

The only country that has more guns per capita than USA is Yemen.

Hi, atuanui,

I once read of a Pacific Island whose people had little more than yams to eat. Medical exams revealed them to be malnourished.

Here in the US of A, something in our diet facilitates the growth of a violence hormone.

More seriously, about health care and beggars. The more you read of the USA's founders, the more certain you can be that they intended these and similar outcomes. Alexander Hamilton said he wanted the "rich and well born" to govern. Among James Madison's writings is this jewel: he wanted the government to protect "the opulent minority from the majority".

A Committee on Style wrote our Constitution's final draft and one history said a man who liked ambiguity chaired the committee. He prevailed. He might have intended to provide for lawyers.

Alexander Hamilton said he wanted the "rich and well born" to govern. Among James Madison's writings is this jewel: he wanted the government to protect "the opulent minority from the majority".

A very British idea—that only landowners could be trusted with governing as they had natural interests to preserve along with the education to know how to govern. Pure democracy was equated with mob rule.

This seems strange to us now, but it was the rule throughout most of history and continued to be the case in Britain up through World War I. Barbara Tuchmann begins her book "The Proud Tower" with a recital of the ranks and qualifications of the Salisbury cabinet of 1895. All were peers and held extensive land. It is only in modern times in the United States that an impoverished background has been considered advantageous in politics. At present it seems that lack of education is also helpful in getting elected.

A love letter from the Chigago Tribune mentions our low gun crime.

The Chicago Tribune has written a love letter to Canada, suggesting that we have taken that city by storm.

In an editorial this week, the Tribune called out to our country for us t...

Land of the north, Chicago is calling to you. Calling your sesame bagels, smoked meat and Tim Hortons double-doubles. Calling your low rates of gun crime, and universal health care. Calling your oil, especially your oil. We hope some of that Canadian good fortune rubs off on our city.

I doubt if a city newspaper in Texas would see us in the same light.

Fact-checking the NRA's Wayne LaPierre (by Politi-Fact, a project of the St. Petersburg, Florida, Times):

"After a quiet period following the shootings in Newtown, Conn., the National Rifle Association has been making a case for armed guards at schools and other measures rather than restrictions on guns.

"We've fact-checked many claims about gun control -- you can find them on our guns subject page -- and this week checked three that Wayne LaPierre, the group's executive vice president, made in an op-ed in the Daily Caller:

"To make the case that major cities were unsafe, LaPierre made a claim we've checked many times, that Phoenix "is already one of the kidnapping capitals of the world." We rated that False.

"He said President Barack Obama " flagrantly defies the 2006 federal law ordering the construction of a secure border fence along the entire Mexican border." We rated that Mostly False.

"LaPierre claimed that after Hurricane Sandy, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg "refused to allow the National Guard into the city to restore civil order because Guardsmen carry guns!" That earned a Mostly False."

(I'm one of the NRA members who say LaPierre isn't speaking for us.)

Couldn't resist including this perceived deport-able offense for a fellow Canadian - funny bit called Cold Dead Hands

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service