Anyone has a great or favorite Atheist quote please share.

On the first day, man created God.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization. George Carlin

It is not as in the Bible, that God created man in his own image. But, on the contrary, man created God in his own image. Ludwig Feuerbach

Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for Atheism ever conceived. Isaac Asimov

Views: 756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Faith is believing something you know ain't true. - Samuel Clemens(Mark Twain)

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. - Frank Lloyd Wright

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. - George Bernard Shaw
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
- Epicurus

"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it..."
- Mark Twain's Notebook

"No man that has ever lived has done a thing to please God--primarily. It was done to please himself, then God next."
- Mark Twain, a Biography

"What God lacks is convictions- stability of character. He ought to be a Presbyterian or a Catholic or something- not try to be everything."
- Mark Twain's Notebook
"Blasphemy is a victimless crime" - Penn Jillette (from a bumper sticker apparently)

"Well, I've often thought that the bible should have a disclaimer at the front saying, 'This is a work of fiction'" - Sir Ian McKellen

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
“When I look upon seamen, men of science and philosophers, man is the wisest of all beings; when I look upon priests and prophets nothing is as contemptible as man” - Diogenes of Sinope
those are great, the only thing that comes to mind is from the late george carlin - "religion is bullshit"
"1. The creation of the world is the most marvellous achievement imaginable
2. The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
3. The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
4. The most formidable handicap for a creator would be nonexistence.
5. Therfore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being - namely, one who created everything while not existing.
6. An existing God therefore would not be a being greater than which a greater cannot be conceived because an even more formidable and incredible creator would be a God which did not exist.
Ergo
God does not exist"
-Douglas Gasking
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong." - Thomas Jefferson (I know...a deist, but so beautiful a sentiment)

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
H. L. Mencken

Not a direct atheist quote but the vatican's remarks aimed towards Dan Brown's readers was brilliant:

"Remember that this book is the work of fiction and full of historically unverifiable facts"...

He should have said that about the very book he believes is the the divine word of god.

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." ~H. L. Mencken

"Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?"- Robert G. Ingersoll

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service