Even thou A|N is less then a year old, we are already making an impact in the realm of unbelief. As we approach the new year, I can't help but think (and dream) of what we collectively could accomplish in 2009.

Let's brainstorm. What are your ideas? What would you like to see us achieve this year?

Also, this shouldn't be a place to poo-poo other's ideas. Let's just dream unencumbered, and then worry about the details once we get some decent ideas.

Tags: 2009, dreams, goals, ideas

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Don..I did see a statement issued by some fundie group condemning the inclusion of both non-believers and muslims in his address. I'll see if I can find it and will post a link when/if I do.
I'm still orienting myself to the site. I'm just SO happy it's here.
We're glad to have you here, Timothy!
Brother Richard, Perhaps we non-religious need to insure equal protection under the law by thinking about amending the First Amendment to read: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,non-religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;... the word respecting meaning, not go against or violating. A discussion of a constitutional argument would shine a light on the bias that non-believers face in a country that by all polling data indicates is majority theistic, secular government and people are under increasing attack by religious organizations who seek to make this country a thearchy.

Perhaps a discussion of this sort would move all the people to think where we are headed as a nation.
How do you establish "non-religion"? It doesn't make sense. Sure, I can see establishing religion, but non-religion? This amendment, as it stands now, would keep this country from being a theocracy. Sure, our secular government is under attack by many religious organizations, but a steadfast adherence to the Constitution will keep us from being washed aside. Why change it?
It would seem to me that adding "non-religion" will only force the government to not acknowledge secular ideas.
That would get us into a very strange place indeed! If they can't have religious ideas and they can't have secular ideas, what sort of ideas are left? Secular ideas aren't non-religious... they just aren't religious.
2nd
I am starting a student organization at the University of Houston and am going to be brainstorming several ideas for activism. The Secular Student Alliance website actually has a decent outline of ways to provide others with information about non-theists. I feel like it will grow quickly, and was very surprised to find that such an organization didn't exist at this school already. Let me know if yall have any good marketing tools or materials that could help!
I would like to see better monitoring of the language used on this site. I'm no prude - in fact I use profanity quite a bit in my daily life! But when a post if full of "curse words" (for lack of a better term), epithets, and militancy it is my humble opinion that it shows poorly on us as a community.

I've read several posts that contain lots of foul language, and I just don't think that is necessary. It detracts from the power of the message. I don't expect every single person with an opinion to be able to express that opinion beautifully and eloquently, but then this is not a forum on the English language. I do expect everyone's opinion to be respected, and I would prefer to have those opinions shared with me without the inclusion of such inflammatory language.

By being Atheists we have demonstrated the ability to think for ourselves. In my book that places us at the top of the food chain. Trash talk and foul language drags us down and gives credence to the believers' beliefs that Atheists are stupid, worthless people.

I would choose not to be perceived in such a fashion.
I'd just like people to take a little extra time in posting to re-read their work. I'd much rather read a literate post using fuck every second word than a prudish work with errors in spelling, syntax and punctuation.

My sentiments exactly. This is not a chatroom. You have time to edit. By doing so, you show respect to your readers.

Also, I don't see swearing here being used gratuitously. Profane words contain enormous power and a rainbow of meanings in various contexts. If you tell me you didn't know 90% of all profanities by age 6, then you must be Amish. If your sensitive to words, how in the hell do you deal with reality ?
I don't use cuss words gratuitously but I see them as part of the English language to be used appropriately. I find the less one uses them the more impact they have when they are used.
When discussing a particularly egregious, bible thumping politician calling them just an idiot doesn't quite cut it. However a "fucking idiot" makes one's feelings more pointed.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Pat commented on Loren Miller's status
2 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
11 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's status
19 minutes ago
Future replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Scientists warn we are on the brink of the next major mass extinction event
28 minutes ago
DAN DANA posted a photo
29 minutes ago
Pat commented on Loren Miller's status
32 minutes ago
Profile IconDAN DANA, nice girl, KOUSTAV GUHA and 3 more joined Atheist Nexus
43 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
54 minutes ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
1 hour ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Has anyone else noticed that A|N links to comments aren't working? You get to the post, but not to the exact comment. Something's broke!"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service