I've asked this on my page, but what are some atheist movies you've seen?

Views: 2617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also like a couple of TV shows with openly atheist protagonists.

'Bones' (Dr Temperance Brennan, gorgeous and uninhibited forensic Anthropolgist)

'House' (Dr Greg House,genius diagnostician and manipulative, narcissistic arsehole)

One of his gems; "If you could reason with religious people there wouldn't be any"
I've seen at least two episodes of House where the writers seemed to cater to superstitious beliefs. >_>"
I've seen at least two episodes of House where the writers seemed to cater to superstitious beliefs. >_>"

And I've unfortunately seen a few episodes of "Bones" where they most definitely cater to religion/superstition. The season one Xmas episode still makes me throw up a little.
A few friends have gotten me into Big Bang Theory. Have only seen a few eps though - more when I get a working DVD player again.

one of my favorites. they are not openly atheist, buy you can say definitely not religious.

great show

Brennan (Bones) appears somewhat cold & Greg House of course is as you stated an arsehole. These characters play into the stereotype of the "typical atheist." Don't get me wrong though I actually like both shows & love House as a character.

Unfortunately when a character is an atheist or agnostic in a movie/TV show they usually are the bad guy or are jerks. If not a jerk then they get it wrong, screw up or something. Atheist are almost always shown in a negative light.
What about Quantum Leap for T.V. shows?
LOL That's a great quote!
off the top of my head:

Religulous and Monty Python's Life of Brian

2 great movies.
Just saw "The Soloist" - have to say, there is a cameo send up of atheism - but I think that was tongue in cheek. Check it out. That movie is not about god - it is about people and friendship and humanity and the beauty we are capable of. If it says anything about god it is that he must be a twisted son-of-a-bitch if he exists at all.
THE MAN FROM EARTH... everyone must see this one.
Absolutely! Just saw this in the last week. Not the best production quality in the world, but it's the best "talking heads" type film I've seen.. better than "My Dinner With Andre", "What The Bleep Do We Know", etc...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service