I've asked this on my page, but what are some atheist movies you've seen?

Views: 2622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Tillman Story looks promising when it comes out to a wider audience.
I liked Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Hogfather and The Color of Magic. Of course, these were written by atheists rather than promoting atheism.
Well, it's a dark comedy called 'Saved!'...
with the guy from Home Alone. 2004.
The outtakes are something else! As absurd as it is, the movie speaks volumes.
Ooh, I liked "Saved!"
Star Trek 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 etc. etc.
Anyone seen "Religulous"? Good one, more of a documentary. I was surprised I didn't see it posted...
I recently saw Casper again, and I realized that it belongs on this list.

There's death and ghosts and an "other side", but nothing deity-ish. I think that this movie may have actually had an influence that was key to the fact that I now call myself an atheist. It deals quite specifically with ideas of some afterlife, and it was contemplating that topic that I eventually recognized my atheism.

Sure, sure, Dr. Harvey asks Amelia "Are you an angel?" and she sorta looks like maybe she nods, but she doesn't do a good job of it and it's ambiguous what the answer is; she just goes on to say what she says as if to say "It doesn't matter what's up with me, James, I'm dead."

It's not an egg-breakingly atheist movie, but it is spoon-bendingly so.
The Invention of Lying was good. I also watched Creation, even though it was more of a love story, because the main character was Charles Darwin. One of my favorites is Agora.
"I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."
"Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a blaster at your side kid."

Hans Solo, Star Wars

Stargate (movie and tv) I am surprised no one has mentioned Stargate (the movie) and even more so the tv show Stargate SG-1.  The TV show has a running theme of destroying various religions that were created only as a means of control and the later seasons deal with an invasion of missionaries from another galaxy. The spin-off shows are not as atheistic but SG-1 clearly is.

It was until Don Davis died and Richard Dean Anderson quit the show.  When they brought on Beau Bridges and Ben Browder to replace these two, the show started having hints of Christianity.  I was very disappointed that the fundamentalist nature and tendency of the country to be intolerant towards anything perceived as non christian or other than christian managed to leak into my favorite show. 

also:

At least partially: The Contender.

I especially liked Joan Allen's answer on her being an atheist in her confirmation hearing:

"And, Mr. Chairman, I stand for the separation of Church and State, and the reason that I stand for that is the same reason that I believe our forefathers did. It is not there to protect religion from the grasp of government but to protect our government from the grasp of religious fanaticism. Now, I may be an atheist, but that does not mean I do not go to church. I do go to church. The church I go to is the one that emancipated the slaves and gave women the right to vote. It gave us every freedom that we hold dear. My church is this very Chapel of Democracy that we sit in together, and I do not need God to tell me what are my moral absolutes. I need my heart, my brain, and this church."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service