Hello out there to all of you in rational thinking land, I was hoping someone could answer me in regards to a stamp I have which could be used to stamp, perhaps next to what I deem a disgraceful & ridiculous "In god we Trust" statement on most US dollar notes.

My question being, if I or someone were to mark the US currency with the addition of this stamp, "Atheist Money" would this be an illegal action? because although I dislike the totally retarded mainstream religious views of this country,  I also do not wish to be deported or forced to leave without my consent for what may be any illegal activity.

Thanks in advance for replies to this matter, CR ;-)

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From time to time, I take a sharpie and mark through the offending motto on whatever cash I have on hand.
Defacing money is a crime. 

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their address is: United States Secret Service, 1800 G Street, N. W., Washington, DC 20223.

Sorry for just jumping in, but I see this as no different from all those bills that people decide to mark or stamp with "Where's George?"
John, I just gave the wording of a law.  I won't take your wager.  This law is very rarely enforced.  I, too, mark out "God" on my bills.  But, our friend Chris is not a citizen, and takes a greater risk than you or me.  He asked if it's illegal, not whether or not one is likely to be prosecuted.  Why did you jump on me like a ton of bricks?
John,  I accept your gracious apololgy.  I also hope you get over your cold quickly. I thought that if they can fine you and send you to jail for 6 months, the violation might be termed a crime.

Thanks guys for the advice, however it is still unclear if one were to write on, cross out god for reason, or even as one said to draw a moustache on, would be deemed to render the note un-usable.

I'm glad I checked this out as so far it seems a little ambiguous and as I'm not a permanent resident, I will certainly not be doing anything to take the risk of a prosecution, & possible deportation especially considering how politically charged any such criticisms (no matter how warranted they may be) of religion in this country would be seen.

In my opinion, it would be interesting to see more of these US dollar notes with either the god crossed out or with some form of atheist messages on them, possibly done by perhaps permanent or more high profile Atheist residents & therefore may create a stir to then raise awareness of how the religious morons of this country infiltrate their virus in society with even the smallest details, ie on its currency.. 

I have travelled the world extensively & little do many US citizens realise how much of a laughing stock they are when it comes to such a high percentage of religious fundamentalists.  

Chris, check out this site.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml/9613.htm

Also, how do you put a link in?  What key strokes?

Thanks for that dogly, but still not convinced it would be safe to cross out or write anything on any US notes, and thus I'm definitely not willing to be a test case & to be possibly deported. However maybe one, or many of you other intelligent citizens could start a small movement to protest this unconstitutional encouragement of religion which sits apon the US currency?

Hi again Dogly, first of all, It doesn't sound like others here have been, and I want to make clear that I certainly didn't mean to sound bitchy so apologise if that is how my query on the subject comes across. I certainly appreciate the feedback from all whom contribute to the topic. I also agree that there are bigger struggles to overcome than having god we trust on the US currency, such as you mentioned, prayer in public schools, or even resolving the antiquated issue to completely remove creationism or id in any science class & thus strengthen the science program with compulsory teaching of Evolution, added to by declaring strong apposition & criticism of any who attempt to argue its undeniable huge body of evidence & unanimous global sciences peer support. Exposing that all efforts to gain footholds in the classroom such as id /creationism has been proven many times even in the US high court, that id is NOT & Never has been scientific!

So in relation to your response of being worn out. Although I commend & congratulate you on your contribution with your donations & efforts to fight against what I'm sure at times, is seemingly a never ending tide of opposition. I still feel very strongly that its better to use encouragement to any & all the efforts to erradicate the ridiculous religious presence, no matter how insignificant it may be to you or I personally.

In closing on this topic, I would like to add one of my pet hates or bitch, is that I get quite frustrated by the tone of some people, (not pertaining to you) especially considering as they align as atheist or agnostic, when they say, 'you will never rid the world of religion'.. Whilst I  concede that this most probably will not happen in my life time, I strongly doubt I will ever rest until I see the day that the only religion to be taught to children in school, will only be taught in their history classes. To this affect one of my bumper stickers reads, To those of you who say it can't be done, please shut up & get out of the way of those who are doing it!

Therefore Dogly, please continue your great efforts whatever you decide is the most affective or important.

Cheers, CR

Now, John, you know how close we really are. Don't be shy.

Simple method is to only deface a few of your bills.  If you are ever stopped by a secret service agent masquerading as a cashier at your local 7-11, you can claim with plausible deniability that you were given those bills as payment for services rendered to a local church.  Let them prove otherwise.  A better test would be to see if anyone refused to accept the bills with the altered inscription.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service