Why is atheist a bad word? How do we flip this word because I don't think I can (honestly) call myself anything else!

Views: 999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another issue is the fact that True Christians (tm) are often -not- familiar with the entire Bible, only the warm fuzzy parts.

They thus think that the atheist stands against all that is warm and fuzzy about their particular god. Atheists, as we know, generally like warm and fuzzy, especially kittens, and rarely eat them for breakfast.

But rather than try to hammer home some of the more delectable bloody parts of the Bible, there are two ways to go about it:

a) the way my wife and I go about showing atheists are not evil destructors of all that is their faith: I am active in the community. So is my wife. I am open about the word -atheist- when asked, but do not propose to force my own opinions on others, including the religious. In this very religious town we have live in for a year and a half, we know every person and they know we are interested in the community.

My wife serves on the village public library board as vice-president. I was just appointed to the Village Board of Trustees (city council - my first overtly political post) as the -least- divisive of five candidates (more on that at my blog post on my recent interview on "Ask an atheist," where I explained it Sunday) to fulfill the term of a thirty-year member, though I am openly an atheist. The village is more interested in whether I pay my taxes, mow my lawn, and check up on my elderly neighbours rather than whether I cross the street to the church on Sundays.

2) Neither of us tries to go about the village "proving the Christians wrong." We go about the village living our lives the way moral people ought live, and they can see that our morality is not derived from a religious book.

But if you absolutely get someone who wants to know why you find the Bible to be less-than-satisfactory as a moral guide, point them to http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com - it is an awfully good read for those who would like to find good arguments to issues about answered prayer and the promises alleged in the New Testament.

not when it's repeated constantly .. just like any god stuff. religions.. they're only accepted because they've been repeated through the centuries.. sigh.. people.. 
people people.. learn some code.. learn a new sport.. politics and hate are no sports worth a damn 

peace!

politics.. or .. 'right wing'. sheesh in Greece and Russia really bad xenophobia.. etc.. 
bits show up in USA AZ too yikes!

“The husband told investigators that Solomon believed her family was going to face hardship from President Barack Obama’s re-election,” CBS News reported.

He is in critical condition at a Scottsdale, Ariz. medical center, while she “was booked on an aggravated assault and domestic violence,” the report said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83752.html#ixzz2C6YjR5QD

The only reason why "atheist" is a supposedly bad word is because the hard-line theists want it that way.  They want people to buy in on the whole eating-babies, hedonistic, amoral crap that they spew and they get upset (sometimes REALLY upset) when reality doesn't square with their hallucination.  We're the pebble in their shoe and the hair in their soup.  We remind them that what they're selling is bullshit, and all the apologetics in the world won't change that.

When I first recognized that I was, indeed, an atheist, I started out looking for euphemisms for "atheist," such as "rationalist" or "freethinker," but ultimately, I think I grew to like the in-your-face attitude represented by the "A"-word.  When a quartet of Jehovah's Witnesses showed up in my driveway 2-1/2 years ago and I faced my first opportunity to do so, I identified myself to them as an atheist, and when they asked if I had always been one, or if something had caused me to become an atheist, I answered, "Yes - common sense."  I was polite with them and wished them a good day when they left, but I made it clear that their mistaken belief had absolutely ZERO TRACTION with me.

I will personally not tolerate the word "atheist" being treated as a forbidden or wrong or improper word because it isn't.  It is an element of who I am and as I embrace all of who I am, I embrace it as well.  If someone doesn't like it, that's THEIR problem.

Loren, I LOVE your answer to the jehovah's witlesses!  If I ever encounter them I am going to say the same thing.~ Melinda

I like the term Rationalist. As opposed to what, Irrationalist? Yep that says it.

"Realist" works, too, but as Loren said, I prefer being a capital-A, in-your-face, no-euphemisms Atheist.  It's NOT a "bad" or impolite word as is the f-word.  It's just a descriptive word.

The sad truth is that Atheist is a word that has been marred by centuries of religious indoctrination and misconception.  It doesn't help that it's still going on.

I like reprobate. I also like heathen.
The only reason I don't like the word "atheist", is because it's too close to "a theist". I certainly don't want anyone thinking I'm "a theist"! I prefer "godless" - it's more to the point.

Are you dealing with people who don't understand that using "a" as a prefix indicates a negative?  I mean if you say, "I'm an atheist," you're not saying "I'm an a theist," are you?

That makes no sense.  It's certainly atypical.

;.) 

(English Curmudgeon)

Now it all makes sense! A moral jerk always seemed so contradictory. Those snarky theists must have meant amoral jerk. ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Craigart14 replied to Luara's discussion Proof of god(s)
6 minutes ago
Craigart14 replied to Luara's discussion Proof of god(s)
8 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Atheists who love Science!
12 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
16 minutes ago
Craigart14 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion Atheist Reasoning on Gun Control in the U.S
20 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
27 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
33 minutes ago
37 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
39 minutes ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
40 minutes ago
47 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Parenting Little Heathens
51 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service