Why is atheist a bad word? How do we flip this word because I don't think I can (honestly) call myself anything else!

Views: 1012

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't imagine calling myself anything but Atheist either.
A=no/without theist=god.
It's not really so much the word, but the stigma attached to it. "Oh, he's an Atheist. He eats kittens for breakfast and babies for dinner."

I keep toying with "non-theist," but it has the ring of "you are trying to fake me out, when you are really an atheist."

I really want to be called the Anti-Christ, but that doesn't work very well either.

I am old enough now that I may try "Reprobate," that has a certain ring to it.

Atheist isn't a bad word in and of itself.   Some people like to denigrate atheists because they think only religious people can be moral, ethical, good, trustworthy, kind, law-abiding, etc.   Accordingly there's a stigma attached to the word atheist.  We just need to own it and turn things around, much like gay people have been working to do for so long.  Don't let the bigotry of others define us, but instead insist we define ourselves.   Show people that we're no different than anybody else other than we believe in one less god than most of them.
That's funny, when someone says they are a christian I automatically lower them in my estimation.  Maybe I shouldn't, but there it is.

Right VikingDon!  If someone is doing something nice with an ulterior-motive, they obviously aren't being selfless.  If I do something nice, it's because I WANT to, plain and simple!

I am with you, but only when they use it to show how wonderful they are, which is probably any time that person feels the need to reveal moral superiority over the soulless. Hmmm, sounds like I totally agree with you. Ha.

I would go so far as to encourage other people who are using labels such as "agnostic" to call themselves atheists if they really are. Of course, only the person can decide how they want to label themselves. I just think it's responsible to call it like it is, be yourself, and allow other people to be more and more "exposed" to atheists. People who are afraid of atheists may find their best friend, family member, neighbor who they already love is "one of them".
I identify as a Secular Humanist. I also don't identify as a not-elephant or as a not-brain surgeon. Dude, who needs an other-defined rejection as a core identity?
Good point, Ruth. Identifying as a not-something does seem a little ridiculous. But I do think it is a movement 'against' something. It is a response to a popular delusion. If there were never any belief in gods from the beginning of humanity, there would be no reason to have any such label at all!

Dude, who needs an other-defined rejection as a core identity?

Couldn't agree more, I'm a skeptic secular humanist and a a scientific materialist.

Je suis un Athée Napoléonienne.

Les Athées Napoléonienne

I am an atheist.  I love saying it, and I love telling people whom I trust.  Some people shudder, but it's just the stigma of the word and not the meaning. Normally those whom I trust and care about take the time to find out what I believe. As I share my thoughts they can see where I am coming from, and their stigma around that word begins to change. I think that is how we flip this word.  One person as a time.  The more who identify, the more the stigma will change.  I do agree with Ruth that to identify as a non- is silly, but when religion is the norm, the word atheist is a clear stand as a complete rejection of religion.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service